Performance items: What won't you ever do to your TR?

Project TNX

I will never do the following, that I can guarantee:

-Put a front mount on my car.
I just don't like anything about them, and have never been a drag only kind of guy.

-Go to a bulbous style built in wastegate
see above reason

-NOS
I am not the kind of guy that still uses the phrase "cheating" about NOS, but I'd never buy a car that has had it used, or use it myself. Unless a person is using to spool some mammoth turbo for some superfast car, I consider it corner cutting.

-Remove the Turbo Shield all together
Aside from a few Italian Supercars I can't think of any other car that used the turbo as an aesthetic item. One of the coolest things on our car, figuratively speaking of course. :D I will be modding mine to fit a downpipe though, regrettable but I can live with that.

-Switch to a trans other than the 200 4R
Yeah, they have their known issues and pseudo rarity, but I love this transmission. Takes a hell of a beating and always impressed me with the quick powerful shifts.

-Skinnies
Yeah, no thanks.

-Single Exhaust
I go back and forth on this one, my view is not concrete yet.

-Chrome
Not a performance item, but I'm putting it in there anyway.

- 4:10's
Turbo Regal or any other car that isn't a drag only car, I put that in with the NOS catagory.

**No disrespect or offense meant if you have any of the afore mentioned mods. I'm just uber picky (and bored).

Front Mount

Spoken like a guy who's never had one. Performs better, fits better, eliminates all manner of ill-performing, ill-fitting, OEM claptrap...

Turbo Shield

Desireable for car shows. Bothersome at the strip.

Skinnies

Street car? NO way.. Strip car? YES way...

Single Exhaust

Never had one, but I'd entertain one if I wanted a "quiet" strip car. One could argue that a single exhaust makes more sense, being as TRs have a single cat (or test pipe). Aesthetics? Drone?

Chrome

Not a fan. However, I do have a chrome turbo shield as the unplated variant is extremely scratch prone.

4.10s

A moot point, appreciating they hurt performance.

strike

Front Mount

Spoken like a guy who's never had one. Performs better, fits better, eliminates all manner of ill-performing, ill-fitting, OEM claptrap...

4.10s

A moot point, appreciating they hurt performance.

I decided to go with a stretched stock location. :shrug: A great big old silver front mount blocking my radiator and disrupting the entire front view just isn't my bag, I don't need 1/10th's of a second that bad.

The 4:10's were just thrown in there for a general point. :cool:

I decided to go with a stretched stock location. :shrug: A great big old silver front mount blocking my radiator and disrupting the entire front view just isn't my bag, I don't need 1/10th's of a second that bad.

The 4:10's were just thrown in there for a general point. :cool:

Well, you can have your radiator blocking your stock location, or your FM blocking your radiator? Pick your poison, but I think you'll agree charge air T > coolant T. BTW, I have a black FM on my GN and a bare (aluminum) FM on my chrome T. And I'd have them even if they didn't outperform a stock location - they fit and look that much better.

strike

The two I said I would never do and ended up doing and
the car pickup .7 A front mount innercooler and a 3200 non lockup
converter. I wish I had done it years earlier!

Something I will absolutely NEVER do...

...Let my local GM stealership work on it.

The one time I did, I let them put new ball joints on it. I didn't feel like doing it, and didn't have the tools at the time. Had them try and diagnose the P/M that was giving me fits back then...they said my brand new pressure switch was bad. Went home and began to learn how to do the P/M and in the process discovered that they put one ball joint on the top of the upper control arm and one on the bottom. Got the P/M fixed and went back to get the Ball joints corrected. Later that day, the alignment tech at my tire shop (different from the stealership) couldn't align the front end until he swapped both ball joints to the bottom side of the arms. The GM dealership changed the wrong one!!

Never again.

Roll Bar.

Sorry, I know its safe, but not gonna happen to this car anyway. Maybe some others. If I manage to hit 11s with it, then I guess Im not taking it to the track in that trim. It was my grandpas car, passed down to me, and I can remember riding in the backseat as a kid. Which, I hope to keep usable.

I love the sleeper look of my car, so anything that screams "go fast" isnt happening. Planning on going stealth (badgeless and buldgeless) with this one.

Seconded the roll bar. My car is a fast show car. Too fast to go to my local track but I refuse to do that to such a nice car.

skinnies.

slicks on the street.

driving around town thinking some mustang will race me.:rolleyes:

3rd on the roll bar.

I have been warned by the the tech guy cuz he didnt believe me when I told him the car should go 13.20 ;) . Made three passes in the mid to low 11s and I still didnt get kicked. I think I could get away without one. Now if I was breaking off 10.50 passes, Im sure I would get booted.

4th for the roll bar, had one in my Iroc vert and I HATED it. That's why my goal is 11.5xx:D

Won't ever remove A/C either! IMO part of a GN is having all the "comforts" and still being able to run fast.

Interesting.......details?

Mine would be rollbar as well.

Well, I never got it working and according to full throttle, It worked on everyone elses car so it must be faulty wiring. Well, low and behold, I had 5 different people and shops look at it and they said everything was hooked up correctly but they still could not figure out what was wrong with it. It has been a year and my car still does not run right so it is now parked and I dont get to enjoy my car, I had to buy a truck to drive to school. I paid a mechanic to fix it but it is still not drivable for long distance. Once I have time I will fix it.

Here is a small tangent to the subject which includes something I would NEVER do:

Anyone who puts Monte Carlo SS style exhaust on a TR should be punched in the throat.

My .02:D

Same list as project TNX except I don't mind having chrome engine parts. I also will always have the stock wheels on my car. I prefer the stock appearing and sounding fast cars.