You can type here any text you want

Pick up Tube Melling part #

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris McDade

Ordered this from summit. Melling #20-IS2. Doesn't look right to me.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpg
    IMG_8317.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 209
Not sure if thats the right one or not, but the Melling pickup I recently installed in my engine did not look like that one. I will try to find the receipt and comparepart numbers.

I just got a brand new one from Carquest.Its a Melling and looks just like the one you have here.
I matched it up to my old one and its a match.
The non turbo engine has a shorter pick up because of the shallower pan.
You could install a N/A pick up in a turbo engine but not the other way around.

I wouldn't use the melling pick-up tube if you can find or have a good stock one.

On the melling pick-up tube if you look under that strip of metal going across the pick-up screen the end of the tube is completely uncovered there is no screen at all in that section.

I just got a brand new one from Carquest.Its a Melling and looks just like the one you have here.
I matched it up to my old one and its a match.
The non turbo engine has a shorter pick up because of the shallower pan.
You could install a N/A pick up in a turbo engine but not the other way around.

There's not a difference between the pans of the NA and the turbo cars. The biggest difference in the pick ups is the size of the tube. The 86 and up have the larger tube.

Im thinking about just cuttng off the cross bar and maybe using it. But then I might get some metal shavings in there.

There's not a difference between the pans of the NA and the turbo cars. The biggest difference in the pick ups is the size of the tube. The 86 and up have the larger tube.

and thats what I thought but the parts store said they have a 4.5 inch and 5.5 inch pickup.
In the book it said NA and turbo.
I bet it was 14 bolt pan and 20 bolt pan is the difference.
They had the shorter one in stock and had to order the longer one.

and thats what I thought but the parts store said they have a 4.5 inch and 5.5 inch pickup.
In the book it said NA and turbo.
I bet it was 14 bolt pan and 20 bolt pan is the difference.
They had the shorter one in stock and had to order the longer one.

Like I said, the pans are the same for all of them but the pickups are different. If you have a pan laying around measure how deep it is and I can measure one of the three 14 bolt pans I have here. One of them is off a turbo motor and has the baffle.

From the pan rail to the bottom of the pan is 5 and 7/16 inches on the 14 bolt I have here. I'd really like to know if there's a difference in your pan myself.

Thats what my 20 bolt measures.
I dont know what the difference is then.But they have 2 different lengths.

Just went to Weber racing not long ago to pick up some parts for a motor rebuild and that is the same exact pick up he ordered for me... If Weber is putting them in his motors i would think you be fine to use it!!!

Thats what my 20 bolt measures.
I dont know what the difference is then.But they have 2 different lengths.

The only reason I can think of is because of oiling issues. They lowered the pick up so it would have more volume to get and the .5" tube flows more than the original.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I just cleaned up my old one and reused it. I didn't want to take any chances.

Maybe this should be a sticky?

Back