PICs Removable dash tight fit, IN Progress

more pics. Friend came over to help tig weld the out of position welds. Now I have to pait the top remove the surface rust on the under side of the roof and install the new headlinder and front window, then I will complete the cage.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,048
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,038
Rust inhibitor, reversal

Suprised to find this surface rust, I have not seen any rust on this car yet other than very little on the lower door from bad window seals. Is this a typical place? Did GM not coat the under side of the roof?
Does any one know of any good products to put on the roof surface rust after I descale it. I know of POR15 and have used some marine naval jelly but just wondering if there is any superior products for rust inhibiting or reversal.

Well a removed the surface rust on the roof and sprayed rust converter in the nooks and crannies. I dropped the cage back down and sanded the coating to get it ready for paint hopefully tomorrow. Got to pick up a touchup spray gun and some good auto paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,952
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,964
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,970
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,958
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,963
Finally got my gussets water jetted out and welded in. now I can paint the top of the cage and install the new headliner.
IMG_0002-2.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

I got the top half of the cage sprayed in PPG epoxy primer, now I just need to finish sanding it so I can spray the top coat. Next the new headliner will be installed and the bottom half of the cage will be completed. Then it's on to the motor.

IMG_0001-3.jpg

Well I took a litle time off but I finally got the top of the cage epoxy primered and top coated with a single stage black. Next I will install the new headlier and finish the bottom of the cage and paint it. A note for thoes deciding to do a roll cage, prefit evey thing and remove it and then paint it except where you intend to weld then just paint the joints. I got to tell you painting this thing and sanding the epoxy primer was a bitch. About 40 hrs.

IMG_0003-4.jpg

IMG_0010-4.jpg

IMG_0011-2.jpg

IMG_0012-2.jpg

looks killer man. you really did a nice job and those welds are clean as hell. thanks for sharing

Turbo Terry, That's a very nice job your doing. I have the same plans to install a SBC V8 in GN. Nothing fancy just a little turbo power and soon to have a LT1 manifold with a better header system. Keep it coming

Attachments

• TURBO NOVA 092.jpg
    TURBO NOVA 092.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,216
Thats cool. My plans currently changed. I came across two LQ9 (6.0 Liter LS1 iron block) motors cheap. I'm gonna drop one in as stock mock up the turbo system and getting it running for now. We will just see how much one of these can hold in stock form. I'm guesing the head gaskets will let go first. We will see. Depending on the issues with this motor I might eventually go with my original plan of the gen I chevy on a dart foundation.

Headliner installed

IMG_0001-4.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003-5.jpg

Just got to paint the trim to restore it to it's original color and then it's back to finishing the cage up.