Picture of combustion chambers & pistons tops after running methanol.

Just curious if anyone has some pics of there combustion chambers & or piston tops after injecting methanol for a while.

Just curious if it makes the heads & piston tops cleaner than not running methanol.

Thanks

Just curious if anyone has some pics of there combustion chambers & or piston tops after injecting methanol for a while.

Just curious if it makes the heads & piston tops cleaner than not running methanol.

Thanks
I just had my engine apart and ran a crap load of alky through it and my pistons were pretty black. I was actually suprised they were not cleaner. Always ran 10.8-1 wot afr

I just had my engine apart and ran a crap load of alky through it and my pistons were pretty black. I was actually suprised they were not cleaner. Always ran 10.8-1 wot afr
Typically color is from your normal driving. If you drive the car 98% on the street and 2% on the track.. your coloring will be 98% of the street driving.

One thing you'll notice is the lack of carbon buildup.. ie crust.. that forms on top of pistons.

I'll see if I can dig up some pixs. Black is normal. Remember you pull in oil vapors from the PCV as well. And the color of your pistons typically is the color of your plugs.

10.8 is great.. but not great if its 10.8 driving around town o_O

Typically color is from your normal driving. If you drive the car 98% on the street and 2% on the track.. your coloring will be 98% of the street driving.

One thing you'll notice is the lack of carbon buildup.. ie crust.. that forms on top of pistons.

I'll see if I can dig up some pixs. Black is normal. Remember you pull in oil vapors from the PCV as well. And the color of your pistons typically is the color of your plugs.

10.8 is great.. but not great if its 10.8 driving around town o_O
Thanks for the explaination Julio. I could not imagine driving my car without your kit. Appreciate the product

Yes, post some pics when you get a chance.
Thank you.

I cant find any on this computer. I will have some in the next few weeks. Doing some Champion Irons on a customers car and that motor has had meth on it for a while.

My motor has been in my car for 4 years now.. its due for a freshening. This summer i'll pull it apart and document it.

Ive taken apart many engines that had meth injection or not from stock heads to 800+hp. The pistons look the same. A light layer of carbon most often. If the engine has only quarter passes on it the tops of the pistons will have a light brown color with no carbon. If the cylinder pressure is up high the pistons will stay clean. Cruising around will give them the carbon layer. A detonation/pre-ignition cylinder will have very little to no carbon while the others will. Very common in over alky injected engines. The front two will have no carbon and the rear will have the most. The rod bearings will tell the detonation tale also.

We just got done re-building my engine and I use julio's Alky kit and when julio tells you it keeps down the "amount" of carbon build up he's exactly right! When we took out the pistons the tops were black but not caked up, they wiped clean with some carb cleaner/lacquer thinner and a rag and they looked brand new again..... No scraping was needed!!

image-1957581812.jpg

image-4173996117.jpg

image-1086952879.jpg

image-2994803007.jpg

image-1459597717.jpg

image-3536514911.jpg

You asked for pics
How's this
3500 miles and about 400 passes
Number 6 let go after a mishap with the FAST boost controller caused the motor to go 12:1 at 25 psi

You'll have that back together in no time.

Thanks for that Julio.

Your engine just blew up recently because of the boost controller?
Long story short, I started using the fast boost controller and wanted to use the timed function which meant having to activate the power adder function. Unknown to me when I activated this function it as a default puts air fuel target at 12:1 and that much boost on meth and pump gas went boom

93/alky front cylinders lean out example. #1 is the one with the hole. #2 got hot also and pinched the top ring a little. Top ring was shot on #1 and lost some of it's tension on #2.

Attachments

• image-3546931616.jpg
    image-3546931616.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 179
  • image-940441511.jpg
    image-940441511.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 165
93/alky front cylinders lean out example. #1 is the one with the hole. #2 got hot also and pinched the top ring a little. Top ring was shot on #1 and lost some of it's tension on #2.

Bison, how was #1 oriented in the motor, hole to the outside of the block, front, etc?

Bison, thanks for posting. Can you list details like what size turbo? What IC was being used? How was tuning done (FAST, chip, etc)? Outside air temps at the time damage was sustained? How much nozzle was on the motor?
And the million dollar question .... Was it logged/does a datalog exist?

Razor said:
Bison, thanks for posting. Can you list details like what size turbo? What IC was being used? How was tuning done (FAST, chip, etc)? Outside air temps at the time damage was sustained? How much nozzle was on the motor?
And the million dollar question .... Was it logged/does a datalog exist?

It's not one of mine. It was roughly 550whp. Chip with no wideband correction. Ambient temps were in the 40's. I can't recall the nozzles. Not sure if one or two. No logs. Ambient temps being as cool as they were with less vaporization of the alky likely were a big part of the front of the engine getting hot.

tonka said:
Bison, how was #1 oriented in the motor, hole to the outside of the block, front, etc?

I'm not sure. It was already removed when it was brought to me