You can type here any text you want

Pie Cut Tubing Opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It looks like an armadillo! But in an awesome way.

That's too funny... I thought the same thing! When I'm finished/satisfied with it I was going to hide my initials somewhere on it but " armadillo" somewhere on it may get a few smiles and a laugh or two.

Gas lens is the only way to go. Light gauge stainless is a bit finicky at first. I forgot to ask but were you using filler wire? I'm going to say no by the way the weld looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did need to use some 0.025 stainless lock wire for filler on one tack weld that I got a little aggressive with but the rest is without rod.
It's hard to tell in the photos but the welds are on average only about 0.150 wide and even though I didn't hit the mark in a few areas the worst mistake was 0.025 out of line.

I posted this in another thread but can't seem to link it. This is an example of fusion weld that I did. The bead is 0.065 wide and missed by about 0.017 in a couple of areas but due to the size appears a lot worse.

IMG_9427.JPG

A little progress this week. I'm still roughing out the flange so that I can start fitting everything up in the car. If you have ever worked with 3/4 stainless using just hand tools you know how tough it is to cut & shape. I did cut the rest of the small pieces that I'll need but won't know how long the straight pieces will need to be until it's in the car for mock up.
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG

Last edited:
A little progress this week. I'm still roughing out the flange so that I can start fitting everything up in the car. If you have ever worked with 3/4 stainless using just hand tools you know how tough it is to cut & shape. I did cut the rest of the small pieces that I'll need but won't know how long the straight pieces will need to be until it's in the car for mock up.

I know how much it sucks to cut 304 with machine tools, I wouldn't even try by hand. In fact I do my best to avoid machining stainless. If you get fed up with it, I can get you a flange water jet cut. I have dimensions on just about every flange on a Buick v6 at this point. And I have a good local shop I work with that can turn out parts in a few days by laser, plasma or water jet.

Mike that is a very kind offer and for sure I'll take you up on it on the next one. The only reason I am holding out on this one is because I've made more progress on it since the last photo and my thick skull won't let me give up. I did finally get the center knocked out so that I could use a small plasma (only rated for 3/16) to nip away at the radius on the ends.

On a side note I Also need to decide how large to open it up.....my car is a Q trim but I'm using P trim housing as a template so that I don't go too big right away. I noticed after porting my THDP to fit the Q trim It will not seal on some of my smaller housings.

TTT. How is this project going Mike?

Well the truth is that the last post was also the last progress that I've made on it.

I've had a life long problem with not being able to say no when someone ask for help and this results in all of my personal projects going to the back burner.
After I did a few little tig jobs for friends (not car related) It seems like it just snowballed into a lot of other people asking me to do little weird projects.

This is an example of a couple of conveyers that a friend ask me to make.

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG

Back