You can type here any text you want

Piston Questions....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Royal-T-Ltd

Am i right that Federal Mogul = SpeedPro = TRW Forged Pistons.... they are all the same, Correct???? :confused:

Next is there a Piston hierarchy?

how would you rate:

A) Speed Pro/ FM/ TRW
B) Diamond
C) JEs
D) Wiseco
E) Probe
F) whatever else????

i would imagine JEs and Wiseco would be at the top, but what are the main factors, [ weight, quality control, alloy.....]

let me know what you think.... TIA - aaron

Federal Mogul and TRW are separate companies. Speed pro is a LINE of parts from Federal Mogul. Speed pro pistons I believe, are stock in the supercharged L67 engines. (our buick gs's) Aside from that, I think you'll be ok with either Diamond or JE. I'd pick the cheaper of the two, and go with that. Just remember, it doesn't matter how bulletproof your bottom end is; if your tune is off, you're going to ruin the parts anyhow. It's all in the tune. Look at Bison. When his tune was on, he could beat those stock pistons senseless, and they held up to some pretty crazy ****. If you go lean, you're going to burn a piston regardless.

As far as I know, TRW, Speed Pro are the same. They are heavy, but I believe it is the pin that is the factor there.
I doubt the average car will benefit either way from JE, Diamond, Wiseco, etc.

Sealed Power is also a line belonging to the parent Federal-Mogul company; Federal-Mogul acquired the automotive aftermarket division in 1993 from SPX (Sealed-
Power corp and holdings).

<snip, snip> Just remember, it doesn't matter how bulletproof your bottom end is; if your tune is off, you're going to ruin the parts anyhow. It's all in the tune. Look at Bison. When his tune was on, he could beat those stock pistons senseless, and they held up to some pretty crazy ****. If you go lean, you're going to burn a piston regardless.

i am definitely no rookie and understand how important the "tune" is... all the $$$$$$ and parts in the world cant help you if the tune is wrong..... with that said – forget the tune – Piston vs. Piston – what makes them different??? weight, alloy, machining..... dunno thats why i am asking.... and i DO believe that TRW is SpeedPro which is the performance line of Federal Mogul....

Not sure if this is true still.

But the TRW pistons usually have more silcone content therefore requires less piston to wall clearance needed = quite pistons,not much piston slap when cold.
Trw pistons are usually heavier also than most other aftermarket pistons.

The JE & other pistons have less silicone & needs a bit more piston to wall clearance.

Anyone else hear or know the same?

I have TRW's that i had balanced with all other internal parts, and so far so good :wink:

TRW, Speed Pro and Fed Mogul are the same. They come with heavy wrist pins which offset the lighter than stock piston design. If you are re-balancing use a lighter wrist pin. I like JE's. The pin bores are nice and the overall design is very good. Custom pistons can be ordered if needed.

Back