Piston Ring Groove Sizes

Turbo1dr

9 Sec Wanna-Be
I've searched and found some people have run rings that are thinner than stock. Soooo, any more of you guys running a 1/16 1/16 3/16 rings on a stock piston with success? My measurements show this ring is too thin and will have excessive clearance. This is a basic "refresh" stock engine rebuild that will probably run in the 13's.

rings.jpg

Im running the 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 on JE's. The stock rings are thicker. You cant use the thin ring on a stock piston. Ive seen even thinner metric rings used in some applications. You should be able to order the stock dimension gapless rings if you call them. I remember doing this one time myself.

Well, that sucks.

This is the quote that made me post this question. Ironically, it was you. I assumed it was for the same piston instead of different ones.:eek:

Im running total seals on mine. I think i specified std tension when i ordered. Ive run the stock size and the 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 rings with no problems. All were std. tension total seals. Im suprised theres no listing for std tension oil rings.

Well, that sucks.

This is the quote that made me post this question. Ironically, it was you. I assumed it was for the same piston instead of different ones.:eek:

I remember posting that. I have 2 sets of JE's. Ones that are +.020 that i am using now that use the thinner rings and the others are +.030 and use the same rings as stock pistons.