You can type here any text you want

Plasti Guage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Just a Six??

OK! Who Farted??
I didnt want to cut into the other guys thread when he mentioned checking crank bearings with plasti guage. I have my 2K mile motor apart (toasted a tranny-converter & got nervous) The bearings looked Brand New perfect but I figured its apart why not throw in a new set. I have had Plasti Guage sitting here for 3 years & never used it. I just want to try it really, so with it on the stand, how do I use it to get some kind of reading? If I just lay it in block side & put in crank all the pressure is pushing down. Maybe put it on the sides of the caps? Never used this stuff before & just want to try it out?
Not worried about accuraccy so much but whats the proper way to do it since I'm learning about Plasti Guage? Thanks!

Plastigage

Lay bearings in block--lay crank in bearings--tear a piece of gage as wide as bearing--lay on journal--torque cap to desired value with the lube to be used during final assemble. I do all 4 at the same time--remove caps and read gage. I know many peoples bad mouth plastigage. BUT it does not lie. best of luck.

What do you do next? Check the thickness of the smashed plast gauge with a micrometer or something?

The package has markings to read it with. Mine is min 001- 005 max I think?
I'll try some this weekend when I'm playing around.

No

The paper that the gage comes in has gage marks on it. Metric on one side standard on the other. It is simple!!!!! once you see the stip it comes in. They have different sizes---I assume you will need the GREEN--.001--.003
I believe red is next --.002--.004--not sure as I never use anything but the green.

Lay bearings in block--lay crank in bearings--tear a piece of gage as wide as bearing--lay on journal--torque cap to desired value with the lube to be used during final assemble. I do all 4 at the same time--remove caps and read gage. I know many peoples bad mouth plastigage. BUT it does not lie. best of luck.

Thanks!

After reading so much flap, I decided to see what the deal is for myself - maybe I just got a good batch but the Plasti-gauge said the same thing my bore gauge said...

Back