You can type here any text you want

Please confirm fuel line sizes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Can anyone please confirm the stock fuel line sizes? I'm pretty sure feed it 3/8"???
Is stock return 1/4" or 5/16"? I've seen both on a search, but am unsure as whether these were STOCK sizes, or were modified.

Thanks for any input.

I'm fairly sure that the return line is 1/4". With the vent being the 5/16" line. The feed is 3/8".

RemoveBeforeFlight

Hmmmmm. This is what I found in my search - confusion on the return line's size. I've seen both 5/16" and 1/4". Guess I'll just wait till I get into it and figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I was just out under the hood and took a look. The return is the 1/4" line. For quick check look down past the steering column (under the hood). The two lines on the frame are the vent and return. With the return line being the one closer to the center of the car.

Some of the confusion may be from folks that use the vent line for the return. Would need to swap the hoses at the tank to do this.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you for going and looking; you really didn't have to. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to tell the diff. between 5/16" and 1/4"!!!

Can anyone please confirm the stock fuel line sizes? I'm pretty sure feed it 3/8"???
Is stock return 1/4" or 5/16"? I've seen both on a search, but am unsure as whether these were STOCK sizes, or were modified.

Thanks for any input.
The feed line is 3/8",but the Saginaw fittings are much smaller. When people replace the stock 3/8" line,they assume that 3/8" isn't enough to feed their motor. This isn't true. In reality the feed line is no bigger than its smallest diameter. Many replace the stock feed line and come to the conclusion that 3/8" isn't big enough. In reality,they never had a 3/8" feed line and can't truthfully comment on how much fuel a 3/8" feed line can supply.

As far as functionality is concerned,the stock feed line is much smaller than 3/8".

The same is true for the return line.

These cars come with a restrictor plate in the feed and return lines ,so measuring the ID of the line doesn't tell the real story.

Tubing is measured O.D. The return line is 5/16" O.D. I just measured 3 return lines on 2 different cars plus one engine on a stand with the fuel lines attached. Measured 3.125 = 5/16"

Tubing is measured O.D. The return line is 5/16" O.D. I just measured 3 return lines on 2 different cars plus one engine on a stand with the fuel lines attached. Measured 3.125 = 5/16"
That's .3125" = 5/16 :oops: A little too fast on the keyboard

I think I understand where the confusion is coming from. The lines on the engine are 3/8" feed 5/16" return. The return line that runs along the frame back to the tank is 1/4". The return line on the sending unit is actually 5/16" but is swedged down to 1/4".

I think I understand where the confusion is coming from. The lines on the engine are 3/8" feed 5/16" return. The return line that runs along the frame back to the tank is 1/4". The return line on the sending unit is actually 5/16" but is swedged down to 1/4".

You likely hit the nail on the head as far as the confusion is concerned. My car doesn't have the stock engine lines so wasn't able to see/check what they are.

IIRC, it appeared that the 1/4" to 5/16" section on the sending unit has enough of the 5/16" length to do something with it. Such as cutting off the 1/4" section and flaring the 5/16" section to accept a larger return.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Still confused!!! Hahaha! Funny how factual info can get that way. Thanks for all the info guys. I believe we've determined.....
Feed = 3/8"
Vent = 5/16"
Return = 1/4" for the most part but 5/16" in places.
I guess i should have specified that i was talking about at the sender.

I think i have the fittings i need now thanks to the racetronix folks!!

Back