You can type here any text you want

please help coolant question ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Why do we delete the coolant from going thru the TB and why do we block off the EGR ? I know these questions are dumb to some but I just dont know

because we care more about performance than emissions.......remember cold air is denser and makes more power in any engine.......think about it..does it make sense to attempt to cool the hot turbo air with an intercooler and then reheat it as it passes through the throttle body........and it makes even less sense to recirculate hot exhaust gasses back into the intake........ thats the simple explanation.................RC

Hey Man Thanks , Its just hard for my mind to rap around why Buick Engineers would do those things , I know that how technology has got us to this point but it amazes me how things are done . Im new to having one of these cars and I guess I open the hood and say Wow how does this work and I read all I can read , This car is and has been my dream car and sometimes when I look in the garage Im amazed that I have this TB .

Hey Man Thanks , Its just hard for my mind to rap around why Buick Engineers would do those things

Circulating the coolant through the throttle body is to prevent it from icing up. Which is a safety hazard as if it ices up the throttle may not close. It takes just the right conditions for icing to occur. Cool and damp weather which we rarely drive ours cars in.

EGR is required for Federal emissions control, it reduces NOX. The engineers didn't have much choice in the matter. One thing I am really glad of is the lack of an AIR system.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I got you , Im here in Ms and our winters are not that bad , it will drop below freezing from time to time but bits really not that bad in the big picture , thanks for the replys

Things I eliminated back when I was a little boy........

-EGR = blocked off
-PCV = installed breather
-Coolant through the throttle body = looped a hose around
-Fuel evaporator canister = left the solenoid plugged in to prevent trouble code
-Vacuum reservoir ball = maybe I needed it? Don't know.
-Factory oil fill tube = replaced it with a breather
-Catalytic converter
-Turbo inlet bell to valve cover tube = Replaced it with a breather and cap.

Not saying you should just junk this stuff. Especial if you want to keep it stock appearing. But if I remember correctly, the car ran better the more crap I eliminated.

Then I went too far..................................

Hey Man Thanks , Its just hard for my mind to rap around why Buick Engineers would do those things ,.

Buick engineers had to design a car that my be driven under warranty above the arctic circle. The TB lines are to keep the throttle blade from freezing up while driving at a steady throttle for a while. It's a function that 99.99999% of us don't need.

They didn't have the option to risk a lawsuit and major recall.

Its just hard for my mind to rap around why Buick Engineers would do those things
Me too. But you know what? I stop and think about it for a second. These guys are my idols! For what they had to deal with at that time, they were able to create something great that has commanded a following for 30 years now.

I forgive them for the little things........even the Powermaster.:rolleyes:

But still , that's fast , Im hoping mid 12s , Looking forward to BG this fall , It will be my first trip

Hey Man Thanks , Its just hard for my mind to rap around why Buick Engineers would do those things , I know that how technology has got us to this point but it amazes me how things are done . Im new to having one of these cars and I guess I open the hood and say Wow how does this work and I read all I can read , This car is and has been my dream car and sometimes when I look in the garage Im amazed that I have this TB .
If your amazed when you look in your garage , you really really really should try to make it to RC's shop in May . It's worth it even without your car . You won't be disappointed . (y)

I really wanna make it but I think we are going to BG this fall , My money has been kinda funny since the car got home . lol

Back