please help with my new downpipe

Well, guess Jerritt sent it back. Pipe fits perfect, look at the pics! Something wrong on YOUR end. DSC00475.JPGDSC00474.JPGDSC00465.JPGDSC00472.JPGDSC00464.JPGDSC00463.JPGDSC00461.JPGDSC00462.JPGDSC00464.JPGDSC00473.JPGDSC00474.JPGDSC00475.JPG

What could be the deal here? The turbo can't be clocked incorrectly or the exhaust inlet wouldn't line up. Interesting that it fits one but not the other. :confused:o_O

I take back what I said about it being an obvious manufacturing defect.

What could be the deal here? The turbo can't be clocked incorrectly or the exhaust inlet wouldn't line up. Interesting that it fits one but not the other. :confused:o_O

I take back what I said about it being an obvious manufacturing defect.

Maybe he has different headers which mount the turbo at a different angle, maybe engine mounts are a little off..... i'm sure there are slight differences in every car "stock" from GM.... maybe the OP will chime in with more details – but like Coach previously mentioned you don't have to shove the dump pipe all the way on...there just has to be some overlap and then clamp it with a band clamp, the exhaust will take the path of least resistance

aaron

Op has stock style headers. Those pics Mark is showing, have GN1's ATR style headers which fit perfect with their 3 down pipe
I have the same setup from GN1 Atr style headers, 3 downpipe and there was very little tweaking to get it perfect.

The best way to fix it with the stock headers would be to cut and adjust the flange on the headers that the turbo mounts to. The flange has to pitch forward (down slightly) in order for the pipe to come up on the other end

Shouldn't matter, I used stock headers with this same downpipe before switching to the GN1 headers, fit both ways. Wonder what his trans mount looks like?

What downpipe was used with the turbo before? Was the turbo installed with the downpipe? Maybe the exhaust housing isn't machined correctly.

David

ya i mean i put a new motor in with new motor mounts and its a newish turbo but evrything else like the headers are stock. it was the first time the i ever installed a motor but i had help and had it checked way before this problem so i am fairly confident that everything was put in right. it is just not working with my car and the op was just to try and get ideas on how to make what i have work not disrespect anyone like the seller. but anyway im not sure where to start now because i was trying to make this work without having to bend the downpipe. im just trying to figure out what would make it work on his car and not on mine? and what would be wrong with my car because if it fits his and not mine then something has to be off. i can go out and snap a few more pictures of the entire motor if anyone thinks that would help in anyway. thanks again

Jerritt you can try to loosen the header and DP bolts, then lift up on the end of the DP as far as it will go and block it up, then retighten all of the bolts. There might be enough slop in the bolt holes to get everything lined up. Hope this helps, Kyle.

Did you check your transmission mount? If that is wasted it would make everything tilt back more. If it has been replaced what did you use? If you used a HR mount and don't use the exhaust hanger off the trans mount you need to have a 1/4 shim installed to make up the difference of not using the hanger.

Going to have to make arrangements to ship back to you as there was nothing wrong with it.