You can type here any text you want

Plugging the heater bypass ports on the engine?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buickpower808

Has anyone experienced overheating problems when plugging the two coolant ports identified by the red and green circles? I'm not running the heater and as you can see I have both of these ports that the heater hoses connects to plugged off. Just wondering if the engine will over heat with these ports plugged. If yes, would I resolve the problem by connecting the two ports with a hose? That would keep the coolant flowing in the right direction. I would like to get your thoughts and concerns on this. Thank you, Tommy.
Buick231V-6.jpg

shouldn't hurt anything- the factory water shutoff valve shuts off the flow thru the heater core whenever you have the temp selector over towards "cold"..
i believe that fitting right below the thermostat housing is the factory bypass for when the thermostat is closed and heater flow shut off- you might need to hook that up like the factory did..

shouldn't hurt anything- the factory water shutoff valve shuts off the flow thru the heater core whenever you have the temp selector over towards "cold"..
i believe that fitting right below the thermostat housing is the factory bypass for when the thermostat is closed and heater flow shut off- you might need to hook that up like the factory did..

Do you know how the factory hooked up that fitting below the thermostat housing? Thanks for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

GM used a short "S" shaped hose to connect the port on the intake, just below the thermostat, to the port on the back side of the timing cover. This port is just to the left of your distributor and it faces the port on the intake manifold. It is slightly offset to be lower and to the left of the intake manifold port. Left, meaning with you facing the engine.

This hose makes it fun to install the distributor bolt.

GBodyParts.com Online

Amazing! I knew someone had this info. Is this the correct part number for that S shape hose: 25525246 Do you happen to know which way the coolant flows through that hose? Thanks for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

You can eliminate the "S" hose as well if you want. Just drill two 1/8" holes in the thermostat perimeter. I ran this way for years with no adverse results. I personally don't like those rubber clamped on caps though. I cut off the nipple on the back side of the front cover and drilled / tapped for an NPT plug.

You can eliminate the "S" hose as well if you want. Just drill two 1/8" holes in the thermostat perimeter. I ran this way for years with no adverse results. I personally don't like those rubber clamped on caps though. I cut off the nipple on the back side of the front cover and drilled / tapped for an NPT plug.

Glad to see you on again Scott. That's what I was going to say as well.

One thing I'd suggest is that you can add a petcock to the heater hose outlet on the manifold so you can fill the cooling system easier.:)

What kind of oil pan is on that engine, or is it a part of the frame and just looks like it is part of the engine? The NAPA part # for the by-pass hose is a 7333. The part line is NBH. Good suggestion on the petcock, Charlie. It helps to have the cooling system full on a new engine break-in run.

Here is an updated view of the engine compartment. In this view you can see that the area you asked about is not the engine oil pan. It is the front engine mount cross member which I repainted gold, the same color as the engine compartment. I have also replaced the aluminum valve covers with chrome valve covers, installed the carburetor, the chrome alternator, chrome air cleaner and chrome brake master cylinder cover and the power steering pump. I thank everyone for their support and awesome suggestions. Aloha, Tommy.

Buick231V-6withchromealternatorvalvecoversaircleanerandbrakemastercylindercover.jpg

Latest Updates. In this view you can see that I recently installed the radiator, radiator hoses, ignition coil, and I'm working on fabricating the battery box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. By the way, this Buick 231 V-6 is installed in my 2002 PT Cruiser. Thanks again, Tommy.

Radiatorinstalled.jpg

Scott, I watched your video crash. That was unreal! Hope all is well. Thank God you are still with us. Thanks for your support and suggestion on drilling the 1/8" holes in the thermostat. It is really appreciated, Tommy.

charlief1, not sure I understand the concept on installing the petcock at the heater hose outlet on the manifold side. Can you elaborate more on your suggestion? My main concern here is to make sure that I do not restrict the normal coolant flow, which may cause the engine to over heat. Thanks for your support, Tommy.

When you fill the radiator, open the petcock to let air out and the cooling system will fill all the way. You can remove the plug also when filling the radiator, but it gets messy. If you have air in the system, there will be no circulation, the thermostat may not open, and the coolant in the block will just boil.

On the area of the intake behind the distributor it looks like you have a small pipe plug in it. If you take that to a real parts store, not a chain they should be able to find a petcock about the same size. It works just like one on an older radiator made of brass and then do like ek02 said. It will let you fill up the engine easier.:)

Is it the pipe identified with the blue circle or the plug with the red circle that you are referring to? Thank you, Tommy.

Buick231V-6withblueandredcircle.jpg

Scott, is this the nipple you are referring to, of which you cut off drilled and tapped? Circled in red. Thank you, Tommy.

Buick231V-6Timingchaincoverwithcoolantportcircledinred.jpg

The red one is where I suggested the petcock to go since it looks to be smaller than the other side. That should make it easier to find either an adapter to put the petcock in or find a petcock large enough to fill the hole.:)

I have not installed the rear end housing yet, however, yes it will be a real wheel drive application. I will be installing a 2002 Jeep Wrangler rear end housing with leaf springs. Thank you, Tommy.

Back