You can type here any text you want

PM Rebuilt, Still pedal will hit the floor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jshot

Very Frustrated
Just bought this 87 GN with PM.When i first got it wouldn't stop worth a darn. would stop but not enough for an emergency stop. So i rebuilt the PM with the Kirban Kit and a new Accumulator and new brass Proportioning valve.

Bench bled, Gravity bled, then 2 person beed. Also adjusted rear drums. i did not push the pin in on the proportioning valve while bleeding.

Stops a little better but pedal does nothing until half way then works but will hit the floor. I am thinking 80% braking. Seems to pass all the tests in the Powermaster book i got from Kirban.

getting frustrated, just like everyone else. More bleeding? thinking about buying a reverse bleeder.
I do have to push a little hard to get it to the floor, but i am thinking it should never hit the floor. and stop better

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question, but did you change the brake SWITCH?

the kirban oring kit wont fix an issue on the brake hydraulic end of the powermaster , it only replaces the orings on the booster portion

i had one here recently ,,felt the same as you describe , 2inch no feel then it felt like something but not great car was lucky to stop
replaced soft lines pads, prop valve bled .. no improvement .. went vac conversion, i didnt rebleed system just connected lines and burped the bubbles in the master before bolting to the booster and the pedal was perfect ,brakes are solid
i had the unit rebuilt (kirban kit following RC book) and it operates as it should on bench but havent been able to test brake side on a car

i had one here recently ,,felt the same as you describe , 2inch no feel then it felt like something but not great car was lucky to stop
replaced soft lines pads, prop valve bled .. no improvement .. went vac i didnt bleed system just connected lines and burped the bubbles in the master before bolting to the booster and the pedal was perfect ,brakes are solid
i had the unit rebuilt (kirban kit following RC book) and it operates as it should on bench but havent been able to test brake side on a car

OH DARN...

did you follow the RC book?
Yes. the only concern i had was when finished lapping the valves with fine lapping compound the surface was a dull finish not a shinny mirrored finish like they way they came out, but i believe that potion is for the boost. otherwise it went very well. that is why i am thinking bleeding more. a lot of threads on here about bleeding and re-bleeding for hours.

I had experienced the exact same thing with the braking when I first purchased my GN and I told myself there is no way in hell that I would be driving this car around, until I got the braking lined out on it. Do yourself a favor and ditch the "Scaremaster" and look into either converting over to vacuum or hydroboost like I did and never look back. IMO-this was one of the best upgrades I have made to my car. Good luck!

book say it should travel 2,25" with 100# applied ..what i had was with almost no pressure it would move that far and assume thats what you have going on as well...still havent tested the one i have that has been rebuilt ..have to bolt it up to a car to find out if oring kit fixed it

book say it should travel 2,25" with 100# applied ..what i had was with almost no pressure it would move that far and assume thats what you have going on as well...still havent tested the one i have that has been rebuilt ..have to bolt it up to a car to find out if oring kit fixed it
I do have 2.25" of travel. but using force with my hand. not sure how much tho. i am able to push past that with my foot to bottom out. Luckily i have been able to contact a local guy who has owned many GN's. i am taking the car to him for advice. maybe i am paranoid. my last car was a 66 beaumont (chevelle) and it would stop on a dime 4 wheel drums.

i went out and did a couple of 60-0 stop test. and i'm at 225 - 230 with a little fade at the end. depending how accurate my paces are.

I bleed my system three times and used two big bottles, was very much fustraterated. Someone told me what to do. At first I thought it was strange but it worked.

Turn the car all the way off and push the brake pedal several time until it gets hard (about 10 times).

After I did that, the brakes worked great.

I bleed my system three times and used two big bottles, was very much fustraterated. Someone told me what to do. At first I thought it was strange but it worked.

Turn the car all the way off and push the brake pedal several time until it gets hard (about 10 times).

After I did that, the brakes worked great.
thanks. I have already done this. this is to bleed the pump/accumulator i believe.

why did u change the prop valve. Was there an issue. Maybe try the old one again. I’ve seen that before.

why did u change the prop valve. Was there an issue. Maybe try the old one again. I’ve seen that before.
i changed it beacause it was the original one. and also i didnt want that to be the one thing i didn't change and end up being the issue

Back