You can type here any text you want

Polishing GTA's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Hey guys, I need to re-finish my GTA's. They are looking pretty dull. Can anyone give me a couple pointers on the best ways to polish them? I know I need to strip the clear coat, sand with 250, 500, 800, 1000 grit then polish. Is it best to polish by hand with some aluminum polish or use a polishing wheel on an air tool? I havent had the best of luck polishing with a buffing wheel, seems like it gets hot an discolors the aluminum on other things I have tried. Thanks! ------Jeremy

Hey Jeremy what's up I just did mine not too long ago.

You may want to start out with an 800 and then a 1000 or 1200 paper.

Here is why...my wheels were bead blasted and several coats of paint applied. I didn't like that so I used aircraft stripper to remove the paint and was left with a rough cast-like finish. 800 and 1200 worked perfect. Using water of course.

For polishing I used a Mothers Power Ball and my drill. I used Mothers Mag Polish. After that I finished them off with Eagles Never Dull by hand.

HTH

Looks nice, I remember seeing pics of those all black wheels. Definately looks a lot better now!!! Good job! -----Jeremy

Here is some pics of one wheel I did last week.. 4 hours on one wheel.
strip with 180
go to 220
320 with soap and water
400 " ""
600 "" "
800 "" ""
1000" final sand

Used Tripoli with wheel to buff
Then used white rouge with wheel to polished... all low speed

First wheel is done.. Second is untouched..

Attachments

• wheels 002.jpg
    wheels 002.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 214
  • wheels 015.jpg
    wheels 015.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 202
That looks very very nice. What type of wheel did you use and did you have an air tool?

jdpolzin said:
That looks very very nice. What type of wheel did you use and did you have an air tool?
Thank you.... to buff I used a woven wheel.. to polish.. a cotton wheel... no air tools all with a corded drill.. low speed.

Westside500 said:
Here is some pics of one wheel I did last week.. 4 hours on one wheel.
strip with 180
go to 220
320 with soap and water
400 " ""
600 "" "
800 "" ""
1000" final sand

Used Tripoli with wheel to buff
Then used white rouge with wheel to polished... all low speed

First wheel is done.. Second is untouched..

wow, I think I found my new winter project. That looks GREAT!

Thank you!... when the weather gets cooler here.. I will finish the other 3 wheels... too hot right now! :(

GNX Wheel polishing

I just did a set. started with 220 and then 320 then 400 then 800 then 1200 then 2000. Polished by hand with Wizards polish. This all depends on if there is clear or not. I had no problems going higher then 1000 like other people mention. For results just go to my web page in my signature.

Back