You can type here any text you want

poly mounts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1401

Well I will be doing the poly mounts soon enough. I saw an old thread on this and I believe it took him a pretty long time. Has anyone else did this yet? Was wanting some tips if you have did this. I have already had my driver side out to put a new stocker in (actually a passenger side one) but read that it wouldn't work while in the process of doing it so I put the old one back in and the tie down strap back on. Then someone said that there is no difference. That was not fun cause the bolts were within the rubber from the engine torqueing so hard and old age. Anywho, got the polys anyway for DP clearence and peace of mind.;) Can anyone help w/ some tips?

TIA,

You could always talk to John Pearcey @ John's Performance. He did a lot of the prototype work testing the install.

I put the polymounts in my TTA about a month ago and it
wasn't that bad. However I did have my turbo, IC.,DP.,
starter, and cross over pipe off of the car at the time,which
I'm sure made it a little easier. Just take your time and follow
the instructions and you will have no problems. It is definetly
a two man job,you need someone under the car and someone
under the hood to loosen/tighten the frame pad bolts. You will
also need the special wrench supplied with the mounts and a
wobble head extension to reach some of the bolts/nuts when
you are under the car. I have a pit in my garage so that was a
big help,but I'm sure a set of car ramps or jack stands would
also work if you don't have access to a car lift or a pit. Two things
to watch for are: When you jack up the motor to get the mounts
out/in, don't go two high or you might rip a wire loose like I did
(It was just a ground cable,but it cost me a trip to the Pontiac
garage to find the problem). And don't over tighten the long bolt
that connects the mounts together,or it will smash the poly out of
shape. I did over tighten mine because the instructions gave the
wrong torque on this bolt,so I called John at John's performance
and he told me to back it off to about half the torque which I think
was about 30 lbs. They are supposed to change this in the future,
so make sure that you check your instruction sheet. If you have
any problems call John and he will walk you though it step by step. Installing the polymounts is definetly worth the trouble.
My motor sits nice and level now and doesn't move at all,plus I
have a 1/4" of clearance all the way around the DP. I didn't
notice any increase in vibration either. Good Luck.

James.

I just installed the mounts about a month ago. To get to the mounts easer I took off the down pipe, cross over pipe, and starter. I used a cherry picker to lift the motor so I could get more room under the car. It is defintatly a 2 person job. The frame pad bolts took a little bit of nuckle scrapeing to get to. Just take your time, and dont rush. It is not as bad as it looks. One of the hardest parts was getting my old exshaust off, and dropping the motor into place. I had to put a jack under the motor and use the cherry picker, and unbolt the tranny to get the motor lined up. I made the mistake of over torqueing the frame pad bolts. So the car vibrates a little more than what it should. I think the torque specs are 36 pounds and if you go over the vibration gets worse. I also have another thread on the mounts that I posted right after I installed them, maybe there is more info there.
JOE

Thanks a bunch guys! John sent me an e-mail w/ the new torque specs. Luckily, I will be putting in a new DP so this works out perfectly. Oh yea, I remeber those guys (HRparts) putting in those in around 2 to 3 hours after having all that practice w/ prototypes.:eek: Maybe I should call them and ask for advice.;)

Back