You can type here any text you want

pontiac 301t

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

slickT/A

I have a 1981 trans am with a 301 turbo in it. What can i do to get 350-400 horse power out of it? I know most people say get rid of that engine but it's all original and i would like to keep it that way if at all possible.

Drop in an LC2.

Convert to EFI, bigger turbo, add intercooler, Have a tranny built.

I don't know how much has been squeezed out of those blocks, but there's bound to be someone who has.

Call TA Performance and ask.

I guess a blow-through combo isn't out of the question either.

Put on a 400 shot of nitrous, and you might get 350 horse.;) Good luck!!!

k thanks. i know there has to be some way of doing it i just don't know that much about turbos.

I'm just bustin your stones. Realilisticly though I think your in an uphill battle with that engine. Being a hot air and carbed, very tough.

Go to 301garage.com and look around. Alot of good info on the site and forum. There are afew guys there putting down around 260 to 290hp at the wheels (well over 300 at the crank) with just bolt on parts, and removing factory restrictions. Factory boost was 9 psi, but most cars are only seeing 6. Turn it up to 10 or 11. I have a 301 turbo project, but it is on the back burner.

pull it out and put a 400 or 455 is what was always done back in the day

I was shocked one day to trip over guys online runing 12's with $1500 in mods on 301t's

I saw this post and did some quick hunting for you

this post from here is mid 12's:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/126498-pontiac-301-turbo.html

it is difficult to find but at the time there were links to places like the 301 shrine but most of them are dead now

it can be done and is different , I do recall like most turbo motors they like octane and were tuned for crappy fuel of the time and the turbo placement caused a lot of heat soak issues , I recall high octane and some heat wrapping putting the car in the 14's , from there gearing ( they came with 308's) alky injection , cams ,etc..

I would contact Neil Smedley if possible and get direction from him - he has allready proven you can make one go - its not a gn but i do love to see underdogs overperform and NOBODY that was into cars in the late 70's early 80's wants to get beat by a 301 TA so there would be fun to be had :biggrin:

I know nodih on 3800 pro has a 301 tta he is working on , stroking it to 377 etc...maybe look him up

If You Blow It Up And Need More Parts Let Me Know I Have A 80 Turbo 301 Car That I Am Parting Out.complete Motor Car Was Rearended Pretty Hard About 10 Years Ago.tons Of Other Second Gen Parts If You Need Anything Pm Or Call Me Had 75 Of These Cars Most Ended Up As Parts

203 213 9126

Go to the before black section and look around some. You'd be suprised what you might find. Good luck.

Back