You can type here any text you want

Popping/Sputtering noise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DavidM

Alright, after having the Service Engine light come on it was a Malfunction code 22. The TPS sensor was dead. I ordered a new TPS from Kirban and installed it. I got the volts on idle at .42 but I couldnt get the WOT at its correct settings. Started up the car and the Service Engine light went away as well as the Malfunction code on the Scan Master. So I thought all was good. I bought E3.42 Spark plugs and changed them out. (The old ones were black from running rich). In the process I must of changed the firing order because when I took the car out for a run, there was a popping noise coming from the exhaust. There was alot of movement in the engine (car shaky). And when the turbo was trying to spool up, it didnt. Just alot of sputtering noise. I immediately brought the car back home. I took readings of the ScanMaster in the idle position. Could it be that the TPS is set wrong? Incorrect order of spark plug wires? Any help would be appreciated.

02 V- 300 TO 600
AF- 8
L8- 62
BAT 13.3
INT- 120
BL- 155
CLT- 154
ATS- 130
R- 700
TPS- .42
IAC- 77
CC-124
MAL- 00

Verify that the firing order is correct first, pull the tps forward to adjust WOT settings, also adjust your IAC when doing the tps. Your blm's are high at 155 check for vacuum leaks also.

Make sure you have the plug wires correct and on right. You should change the oil also when you get it running right if your running that rich and dumping enough fuel like that. TPS seems ok, IAC a littlle high but wont cause what you are describing.Always do one thing at a time ,so you know whats working and whats not. If it ran fine prior, start with the plugs and wires. Are the wires new? if not, How old? When i changed my plugs with Kirbans E-3s, I also had to replace the wires. My 3 yr old Magnacores desinagrated. Got a new set from Kirban also... very pleased... Keep trying and post back results. Good luck!

Thanks TurboJD and TurboV for your replies.
I ran a search of correct firing ignition order for an 84, it did not work.
I ran a search all the way up to an 86 and that seemed to do it. WOT volts are a little high, need to adjust (no a/c) :D
Other than that the car is running great, a little smoother and easier on the throttle.

Thanks TurboJD and TurboV for your replies.
I ran a search of correct firing ignition order for an 84, it did not work.
I ran a search all the way up to an 86 and that seemed to do it. WOT volts are a little high, need to adjust (no a/c) :D
Other than that the car is running great, a little smoother and easier on the throttle.

Glad its running better:) .... but we are never done.:rolleyes:

Back