You can type here any text you want

ported wastegate hole ????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

zacks gn

I have recently purchased a te44 precision turbo and I was wondering if I need to port the wastegate hole I have a gbody 3 in downpipe. What are the pros or cons of this

It shouldn't need to be over .950 on that turbo. There are no pros to having the hole larger than it needs to be. Cons are that if you increase the hole size too much and want to run the turbo hard you are giving the exhaust pressure more surface area to press on which will require more spring pressure to maintain boost when the engines mass flow gets up near the turbos limit.

Make sure you measure and mark the pattern before you start to open it. You may find that you won't need to open it much (if any).

ks

6262jb I did for a THDP

Attachments

• IMAG0733.jpg
    IMAG0733.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAG0742.jpg
    IMAG0742.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 272
what are your suggestions on porthole size for the 6262dbb?

I think you'll get more boost spike / overboosting on a DBB turbo vs journal bearing turbo.
My DBB5857 had an exhaust wastegate hole of .90" . I was experiencing boost spike & overboosting real bad.

Opened up the hole to 1.10" and all is good now.

Keep in mind that you want to ensure that your down pipe puck seals properly and has at least 1/8" (.125") sealing surface.
If you go too large on the hole you can encounter problems too.

Hey jasjamz.about what size is that hole ported?Looks real neat.
I'm sorry, I didn't measure it. I know it was offset to the Puck from Precision as you can see in the first photo. I do have the 1/8th inch sealing surface and radiused the hole in the housing. Put it on the car with a stock long block except for 206 cam and JE pistons and it was solid at 18-19 psi. No complaints since its an alky car. You need to mount the Turbo to the downpipe to mark the Puck. Don't guess or you may offset the two and cause an internal leak.

jasjamz said:
I'm sorry, I didn't measure it. I know it was offset to the Puck from Precision as you can see in the first photo. I do have the 1/8th inch sealing surface and radiused the hole in the housing. Put it on the car with a stock long block except for 206 cam and JE pistons and it was solid at 18-19 psi. No complaints since its an alky car. You need to mount the Turbo to the downpipe to mark the Puck. Don't guess or you may offset the two and cause an internal leak.

You can get the plate from RJC and drill a new hole. Center the hole to the hole on turbo and puck. Then you wont have to worry about offset or leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

You are correct Clint. This is the 3rd one I have had to do. It has a Rjc downpipe with the Mega Puck and still offset due to someone. It was purchased new.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_25.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_25.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 174
ok thanx guys .im gonna need a new external dp,so i will give rjc and also hartline a call and see if they can satisfy my craving for consistency..

Back