You can type here any text you want

Posi carrier - Cannot remove center pin

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
I was planning on removing the carrier from an old rear, but am having absolutely no luck removing the pin. This thing must have been abused to score it up this badly... Is there a better way other than trying to hammer it out? It just won't budge. It needs a rebuild anyway (ring gear has a couple chipped teeth) so I'm not against having to destroy the pin in order to get it out. Help...?

mite try heat.heatgun we use on silicon hoses.let soak in penetrating oil sould come out. could heat housing around pin with a torch.

Do you mean the pin that releases the c-clips to get the axles out? Take the screw out that holds the pin in. If you took the screw out and it still wont come out, part of the screw is probably broke off and still holding the pin. The screw should be about an 1 1/2" long if memory serves me right. Some guys remove the screw and think its out, but there is a straight section of the screw with no threads that slides into the hole on the pin to hold it in place.

:biggrin:

Depending one the clearance of the center you may need to do like I did and drive it out. A total PITA and the pinion shaft isn't scored from wear. It's kept in by the springs for the posi is it's kinda tricky to get out.

Coach wins the prize! The bolt did indeed break, looks like it failed right at the end of the threaded portion. :eek:

If you are a lucky guy, you might get a small magnetic tipped screwdriver in there and slowly pull it out. Spray some high pressure Blaster in to clean it out first. It may come right out. Its yours and not mine. If it were mine, I would have to tip the entire car on its side or something even crazier...:D

:biggrin:

Coach wins the prize! The bolt did indeed break, looks like it failed right at the end of the threaded portion. :eek:

That sucks! I've had to leave at least a couple posi units at the junkyard due to that pin breaking. Just so happens yesterday I had to pull the axles on a 2000 Camaro, and when I pulled the cover I found there was no thick shaft going through the chunk. GM eliminated it on that particular piece, but still had the small 5/16" bolt that retained instead of the pin, a flat plate in the chunk that the axles hit against. Once removed, axles could be pulled out.

I was able to walk mine out really easy by using a pick. It was really that easy.

If you don't have luck doing that, I have a removal kit I bought online I would sell for cheap too.

That sucks! I've had to leave at least a couple posi units at the junkyard due to that pin breaking. Just so happens yesterday I had to pull the axles on a 2000 Camaro, and when I pulled the cover I found there was no thick shaft going through the chunk. GM eliminated it on that particular piece, but still had the small 5/16" bolt that retained instead of the pin, a flat plate in the chunk that the axles hit against. Once removed, axles could be pulled out.

The Torsen in the f bodys has that setup . Its still acts like a posi .

The Torsen in the f bodys has that setup . Its still acts like a posi .

So the new unit in the F bodys is a Thorsen traction unit Brian? Are you sure? If that's the case you may have saved me and some of my friends some issues.:cool:

So the new unit in the F bodys is a Thorsen traction unit Brian? Are you sure? If that's the case you may have saved me and some of my friends some issues.:cool:

Yep... It was factory in SOME f cars from 99-02. Zexel/Torson torque sensing diff.... Ive changed a couple. Only difference when changing it into a 3rd gen or an 93-98 f car is the ABS ring for the three channel opposed to the 4 channel ABS , which uses a sensor on the axle flange. The ABS ring from the older car will press on the Torsen .
FS: Zexel Torsen diff 10 bolt - LS1TECH

It looks like this :

Attachments

• Picture003.jpg
    Picture003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 199
I was able to walk mine out really easy by using a pick. It was really that easy.

If you don't have luck doing that, I have a removal kit I bought online I would sell for cheap too.

seen so many broken that i keep spare pin bolts in the tool chest within easy reach (NAPA bk6351023 carrier pin bolt )
it's almost alway brokes and leaves one thread , dont get upset , just grab a pick and rotate it out counterclockwise ,

Yep... It was factory in SOME f cars from 99-02. Zexel/Torson torque sensing diff.... Ive changed a couple. Only difference when changing it into a 3rd gen or an 93-98 f car is the ABS ring for the three channel opposed to the 4 channel ABS , which uses a sensor on the axle flange. The ABS ring from the older car will press on the Torsen .
FS: Zexel Torsen diff 10 bolt - LS1TECH

It looks like this :

Thanks Brian. I have one here and I may be using it later if I blow the posi.:biggrin:

Back