You can type here any text you want

Power Injection.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i was wondering what this idiot light was for, Buick obviously had something big up there sleve that they never got off the ground in time to make production.. i heard somewhere about a water injection idea at one time???

someone fill me in

buick (before they knew the GN was going to die) was going to install a water injection system from the factory to reduce knock retard as a safety feature for the motor...rumor was they were planning on adding more horsepower in the future and to compensate for possibly headgasket failure and such they were going to add the water injection...thus the light in the dash...just imagine if they kept making the TR after 87!:eek:

there's also been testing for METHANOL injection...there's an series of articles all about it...even the government was involved or something

d0n_3d is correct about Buick experimenting with water injection.

Trouble came in the guise of using alcohol & the government crash tests.

Buick in 86 went with the intercooler. Wiring & bulb sockets are included on the hot air TRs.

thats pretty cool i never knew that and that they were even thinking continuing the car......

The Hot-Air cars were the subject of the Tests. On a few 84/85's the 'Power Injection' light is wired in to a connector under the hood. This connector is on the Driver side inner fenderwell, and sticks out of the main harness near your Brake Master Cly.

The idea with the 84/85's Intake Idea is the long runners provided time for the Alcohol to have a cooling effect on the now compressed air that is being flowed thru the intake.

'Yes' it worked, but as stated before. Alcohol is a fire hazard during a crash, and another point of concern was the fact that some people may forget to 'Re-fill' their Alcohol. In turn this would creat knock issues. GM's over all answer to the higher HP ratings was the Intercooler.

I know being in a severe accident with my 84 I was glad that I no longer had an Alcohol Injection kit on my car.

I never knew any of this! Thats pretty interesting. I had an idea that they were experimenting with things before the demise of the platform, but didnt know exactly what.

These cars have so much mystery and history behind them its spooky. Even owning one, discovering the little hidden things and learning of their unborn ideas and purposes fasinates me.

Does anyone have any sources or GM writeups on this particular subject they could post or direct to? Never crossed anything in the Facts & Figs books or anything about it either.

On my '87, where would I find the wire that goes to this light? It may not have a bulb in it at the moment, but perhaps I could use it for something in the future. I've seen a writeup of a TR owner that used it in conjunction with his alky system.

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
On my '87, where would I find the wire that goes to this light? It may not have a bulb in it at the moment, but perhaps I could use it for something in the future. I've seen a writeup of a TR owner that used it in conjunction with his alky system.

there is no light in the '87's, just a lense that says power-injection. the guys who says theres works is because they hooked it up to their alky, which i think i am going to do.

here is how to get the light to work:

http://bobdittmar.tripod.com/blown87combobs1987buickgrandnational/id8.html

What about those of us with an SMC kit?

That light coming on with the alky would be great.

(I have my controller hidden for that 'stock' look.)

All you have to do is hook a bulb across your pump terminals. A 194 bulb.

I actually use the 6.3 volt versions and a rubber grommet so they can be popped in from the front. So cluster removal isnt needed. But dont use the 6.3's if your running 12 volts to the pumps.

HTH

No bulb, just an empty hole. Two simple options, solder wires to a bulb, or get a bulb socket and solder wires to the tabs. I believe someone makes a 1/2 socket with wires... you'll have to hunt for that. I just solder wires..done.

HTH

So there's nothing behind it at all?

You can find the bulb holders with wires already on them on the Calterm or electrical racks in various parts stores usually.

I'll have to take a look behind there and see.

Back