Power Steering Reservoir Wanted

wiseman

Looking for a Power Steering Reservoir for a 86 GN?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

NOS power steering reservoir (updated version) - $165 shipped.

New in box power steering reservoir. Part number 25531140. Newer version with tubes side by side and left hand turn cap. $195 shipped to lower 48.

Wow, I had no clue that they would cost this much. I will keep you guys in mind if "worse comes to worst" and I can't find a used one or something. I really wasn't looking to spend that amount of money on that little plastic bottle.

Thanks guys!

they make 3 differant versions and are hard to find the quiet ones.prices are getting up there and will keep growig

I didn't know they made 3 different versions. So I do I know which version that I have? Do I need to post a picture?

This part is not being reproduced. There is another version of it with a flat lid with no raised lettering. Happy hunting.

ANOTHER OPTION
psr4.JPG

http://www.buickgn.com/powersteeringreservoir.htm

Mostly a TR part only
However
Junkyard find....
Circa 1982 J-Cars
Mounted on the firewall.

Now
Per fellow member aminga:
There was a TSB on 86 PS pump to clear up a whine. The replacement had left hand threads.
The TSB recommended using a reservoir and return line from a skyhawk for the same year. It happened to have a left hand thread reservoir.
The bigger return line fixed the problem, the LH cap was just a side effect.
The Recall also included a new hose (Return I think) that was larger than the original) which was the actual source of the whine.
I believe they used whatever hose and reservoir they already had and the recalled one came off of a J-body (skyhawk)

I Think it was TSB 87133 and later 87315.

And some other members:
Take a look at the way the hoses connect to the fluid reservoir.
I'll bet yours are one on top of the other. There is an updated reservoir that places the hoses side by side.
I forget the part number, do a search on steering reservoir and you should be able to find it pretty quick.
I got the updated reservoir from gmpartsdirect.com and the problem was gone

Document ID: 267583
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#87-3-15: PW.STEERING NOISE WHEN PARKING
NEW RESERVOIR AND HOSE P/N - (Apr 28, 1987)
MODELS AFFECTED: 1986 AND EARLY 1987 REGAL T-TYPE
There have been a number of complaints of a power steering "moan" or "groan" during parking on 1986 and early 1987 T-Type Regals.
The cause of this noise has been identified as the power steering reservoir return nozzle, size of reservoir, and inside dimension of feed hose.
A correction for the noise is to replace:
Reservoir, Part Number - 25531140; Feed Hose, Part Number - 25531141; Return Hose, Bulk Part Number - 7828506
Return hose must be fabricated using bulk hose 7828506.
Cut hose to 7.5 inch (190mm) length.
See Illustration for routing.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Labor Operation Number: T5142 Labor Time: .6 Hours Trouble Code: 92

I sometimes get mixed up
But there is a reservoir with the ports side to side - which I believe is the newer, quieter version
And one where the ports are top and bottom. This I think was the older version

Left hand cap vs right hand cap confuses me even more!
But to summarize - you should get GM Reservoir, Part Number - 25531140 which has ports side-to-side and a LH cap

Attachments

• !B)H7sm!!2k~$(KGrHqYOKigEwP+sdESLBMMKc(dkuw~~_12.jpg
    !B)H7sm!!2k~$(KGrHqYOKigEwP+sdESLBMMKc(dkuw~~_12.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 38
  • $T2eC16F,!w0E9szNW3-rBQ8c(ooh-g~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!w0E9szNW3-rBQ8c(ooh-g~~60_57.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 38
I have the one out of my TSM (1987 WE-4) car before I converted it to manual steering.

65 bucks shipped to Houston texas

It should
Is it the same the one in the picture that "Heisnburg " posted?

It should be as it is from an 87 model.
They fixed the reservoir issue in mid-86 sometime.
But ya never know what parts are on some of these cars

Yep, that's it! Can you pm with your info so I can send you the payment. I can send PayPal or whatever you like.

Now I know what I will specify in my will to be done with the 5 reservoirs I have in my parts stash.
And to think -when I look at them - I only see more - "stuff"

Mostly a TR part only
However
Junkyard find....
Circa 1982 J-Cars
Mounted on the firewall.

Now
Per fellow member aminga:
There was a TSB on 86 PS pump to clear up a whine. The replacement had left hand threads.
The TSB recommended using a reservoir and return line from a skyhawk for the same year. It happened to have a left hand thread reservoir.
The bigger return line fixed the problem, the LH cap was just a side effect.
The Recall also included a new hose (Return I think) that was larger than the original) which was the actual source of the whine.
I believe they used whatever hose and reservoir they already had and the recalled one came off of a J-body (skyhawk)

I Think it was TSB 87133 and later 87315.

And some other members:
Take a look at the way the hoses connect to the fluid reservoir.
I'll bet yours are one on top of the other. There is an updated reservoir that places the hoses side by side.
I forget the part number, do a search on steering reservoir and you should be able to find it pretty quick.
I got the updated reservoir from gmpartsdirect.com and the problem was gone

Document ID: 267583
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#87-3-15: PW.STEERING NOISE WHEN PARKING
NEW RESERVOIR AND HOSE P/N - (Apr 28, 1987)
MODELS AFFECTED: 1986 AND EARLY 1987 REGAL T-TYPE
There have been a number of complaints of a power steering "moan" or "groan" during parking on 1986 and early 1987 T-Type Regals.
The cause of this noise has been identified as the power steering reservoir return nozzle, size of reservoir, and inside dimension of feed hose.
A correction for the noise is to replace:
Reservoir, Part Number - 25531140; Feed Hose, Part Number - 25531141; Return Hose, Bulk Part Number - 7828506
Return hose must be fabricated using bulk hose 7828506.
Cut hose to 7.5 inch (190mm) length.
See Illustration for routing.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Labor Operation Number: T5142 Labor Time: .6 Hours Trouble Code: 92

I sometimes get mixed up
But there is a reservoir with the ports side to side - which I believe is the newer, quieter version
And one where the ports are top and bottom. This I think was the older version

Left hand cap vs right hand cap confuses me even more!
But to summarize - you should get GM Reservoir, Part Number - 25531140 which has ports side-to-side and a LH cap

Thanks for the rundown, Heisenberg, apparently I did have to latest version on my 86. My ports are located side to side of each other. And the one I just purchased has the ports located side by side also. I just got all new hoses and lines from Highways Stars so I should be set, thanks!