You can type here any text you want

Powermaster problem?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TEEDOFF

I put a new Powermaster motor on my 1987 TR, along with a new(Grey)GM switch and a new, yellow stripe, accumulator ball. I have driven my 1887 TR less than 500 miles since I had replaced these items. However a few days ago, my brakes went out while driving and the brake pedal got hard.

I first checked the Powermaster 30amp fuse-and, it was blown. Next, I disconnected the coolant fan delay relay, installed a new fuse and then checked the operation of the powermaster brake motor. I depressed the brake pedal off and on several times with the key on and the car in my garage. The motor ran fine and the 30 amp fuse didn't blow! However, the motor became fairly hot-so, I didn't run the Powermaster motor any longer. However, the problem I noticed, was that the reservoir at the rear(Towards the firewall)was not being pumped out of the reservoir at at(The fluid level remained normal, the whole time!)? What would be the reason that with the 30 amp fuse blowing before, that the Powermaster pump would have lost it's prime? Or, is it likely, that the pump could then start pumping again, if I should prime it and then try it again to see if it will pump? It doesn't seem logical that the pump should just fail by itself, in less than 500 miles on a new(Not rebuilt!)Powermaster motor, does it? :confused: :rolleyes:

Please indicate what steps I should take from this point? And your ideas as to the reason for the pump not pumping? And, offer anything else that I should know about this problem, I've indicated above? If you have a good proceedure for effectively, priming the Powermaster motor pump-then, I'd appreciate this information, very much? Thanks! :confused:

I have never had either the ball or switch blow a fuse, the motor draws too much current because its asking for too much voltage that its rated for.

Lesson learned, if the motor gets real hot and blows a fuse, its drawing too much amperage than its rated for.

You have a bad electric motor, do a search, someone had a stuck brush the other day. 1 week ago?

EDIT:
Did you replace the entire setup with the new motor, or did you replace, motor first then ball and switch?
BW

I replaced the motor, ball, and switch at the same time(But not the complete Powermaster assembly)! The motor was a new one obtained from the guy named Terry, that sells these new motors!

I don't know if the motor was getting too hot-therefore causing the fuse to blow, or not? I only know that it got hot while I kept running it in my garage to see if the fuse might blow with the coolant delay fan relay disconnected? And, the fuse did not blow! I thought maybe it got a little hot with me possibly, cycling the motor a little bit too long? Or, I was wondering if(Since the pump wasn't pumping the brake fluid out of the reservoir, if this could have caused the pump to get hotter than normal?

I had read somewhere before that if you were having the fuse to blow-then, to first disconnect the coolant fan delay relay, and if the fuse didn't blow-then the relay would be the source for the cause of the 30 amp fuse blowing!

Back