You can type here any text you want

powertraxx

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shmed

looking at getting this set up for the ol peg leg t in the driveway, seems simple enough to install an a decent price.
have any of you fellas used one installed it etc>
any tips before i order it
thanks

I too have a peg leg problem.post a link ,is it something you can do over the weekend.

i haven't purchased it yet, if you search powertraxx it says you can install it it your driveway no special tools req"d

They install easily, but are more truck oriented IMO. They are pretty noisy, but seem to work okay. They feel a bit like a gov loc in their operation.

I had one on my chevelle and it worked REAL GOOD, a little clunky around turns and during parking.
I WOULD do it again. my big money posi is actually giving me fits.
it was super easy to install no special tools, actually the worst part of the install is dealing with the gear oil smell.

I used to run it in one of my cars, switched to a Torsen. The main issue was when parking, all too many folks would come over and start pushing/shaking the car and telling me it had loose lug nuts. Others explained how the car had major mechanical issues that needed to be fixed.

Most likely due to the loud clack...clack...clack emanating from the wheels on the 90* turn into a parking spot...

It was easy to install and locked up tight. Was a little goofy on on/off-ramps as it toggled and rear of the car swayed a little. It is a good idea to replace the axle seals while they are out.

RemoveBeforeFlight

They work great, and install is easy. I installed one in my driveway when I was 16. I dont know how much power they will handle. I went high 10s with one, but switched to a factory posi shortly after.

I don't think they are the best option but they are hard to beat for the money and ease of installation. The "clicking" does get a little annoying when parking but its liveable. I have one in my GN and I am hoping to get mine into the mid 10's in a few weeks. Its been in the car for years with no issues but I am going to swap it out for a clutch type posi this winter.

They're no where near as loud as a real (Detroit) locker! Son has a Powertrax in his MCSS, I've got a locker in my LS Maverick. No comparison in noise volume. And the locker is so violent when it unlocks (more so on RH turns), it make the car jump sideways. Comparatively, you hardly realize the PT is in there...

I ran one in my 1988 Monte SS with a built 350ci. It was one of the most noticable upgrades I made to the drivetrain. It is a very "solid" feeling posi unit. It pushed it hard and the only problem I experienced was wheel hop. I boxed my control arms amd the hop went away. It's true that they are a little noisey when turning, it is a popping sound like cracking a knuckle on your hand. Didn't bother me one bit. You will get used to the noise and will most likely stop noticing it after a short time. I would strongly reccomend that unit over an open rear end. Takes about 2 hours for a novice mechanic to install. Everything is checked with a go-no go metal block they provide. It's almost idiot proof.

I had one in my Silverado with 12 psi from a Whipple supercharger. The clunk /crunch noise as you enter a turn was annoying, mainly because it's embarrassing if people are nearby. But, you get used to it. One other thing that can draw attention is accelerating then start into a turn, like making a left turn at an intersection. If you start off going straight it will lock both wheels, then the tires screech going around the turn like a spool. Always seemed to happen when a cop was at the intersection. It would release if you let off the throttle and corner normal.
Took it out when I put the truck up for sale since I didn't feel like explaining that it was normal to clunk and snap. I would do it again.

Back