You can type here any text you want

Pressed in valve seats?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pablo

Just picked up my heads from the machine shop. I dropped off two sets to be hot tanked, magnafluxed, and checked.

Machinist says the exhaust seats on both sets of heads are pretty trashed. I wasn't able to speak to him at length on the phone. I got to the shop late to pick them up (i will be porting them before the valve job) and he had left already. His notes on my receipt said the heads needed new seats.

What are the pitfalls of installing pressed in seats? Should I have this done on both the intake and exhaust? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

When done correctly, there are no downsides. Done wrong................and you could loose your engine due to a dropped seat. BTW, All aluminum heads have pressed in seats.

There are upsides! the factory integral seat is cast iron (obviously). You have a choice of material for the replacement. You can use cast iron, steel, hardened steel, stainless steel, copper berylium just to name a few.

The latest technology for seats is PM or Powder Metal. The Gen 3/4 GM V8 engines use PM seats.

Back