You can type here any text you want

Priming oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
If I prime the oil pump how long can it sit before I have to do it again?

The front cover is a new TA one and the pump is packed with vaseline. When I add the oil I am going to fill the oil-cooler lines and filter assembly (have the one from TR Custom Parts).

One of the last things I did was prime mine just before the cam sensor went in, I think you would be OK letting it sit before firing it up no worse than an oil change. Just make sure you get oil to the top.

In my experience once you prime the engine and you leave everything intact, it will stay primed as long as you don't remove the lines, filter or drain the oil. It will be just like if you parked a car for a day or a week. You don't usually loose the prime unless there is something else is wrong. I have primed motors on a stand then installed it in the car few days later and it still held the prime. Once I took the oil filter off and drained the oil too left it like that for a week and the engine lost prime. The easiest way I found to prime is; find the oil cooler line that has suction when you spin the drill backwards, tape a funnel to that line and put about a haft of quart oil , when you spin the oil pump backwards it will suck oil back into the pan thus priming the oil pump. Once you do that reconnect the oil cooler lines, switch the drill to forward and go to town you will have instant prime/oil pressure.

HTH
Prasad

Thanks for the replies. I should be good to go with it. I wanted to prime and set the cam sensor before putting all the coolant lines back in place. I should have time to get it all done within a few hours but who knows what the wife has planned o_O

dan from dls told me the easiest way to prime the oil pump is to loosen the oil filter,(make sure there is a spill pan under the filter or a rag around filter), spin the pump with the drill clockwise and it will only take just a few turns and it is primed. tighten the oil filter and use the drill again to put oil to the top of the engine. the other way works too, it is slower and is not as messy.

Back