You can type here any text you want

Problem with dimmer switch

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
I just fixed the wire in the center console that was shorting out and blowing a fuse. Now I find out that the dash lights only come on when the dimmer is turned up just before it clicks for the dome light to come on. If I back it down just a little, the dash lights go out. This of course is with the headlights or parking lights on. Fuses all look good. Can anybody help? Thanks!:mad:

I just fixed the wire in the center console that was shorting out and blowing a fuse. Now I find out that the dash lights only come on when the dimmer is turned up just before it clicks for the dome light to come on. If I back it down just a little, the dash lights go out. This of course is with the headlights or parking lights on. Fuses all look good. Can anybody help? Thanks!:mad:

The dimmer is a rheostat, it varies resistance when the wheel is turned on the switch, you can check it with a fluke/voltmeter to see if its good. Sounds like its just worn out

It's actaully really easy to take it apart. It is most likely cracked since it is a ceramic plate with copper embeds. Mine did the exact same thing. I superglued it back together and re-ran copper tape over the breaks. Works fine.

Or, you could go buy another one.

I bought a new one at O'Reilly for $20. It is more knobby (not smooth) like the stocker but it works fine. The stocker looks like it is perfect. I don't see any broken areas. Oh well, another part for the junk box.

I bought a new one at O'Reilly for $20. It is more knobby (not smooth) like the stocker but it works fine. The stocker looks like it is perfect. I don't see any broken areas. Oh well, another part for the junk box.

Rick, What's the O'Reilly part number for the dimmer switch? I checked on-line and the pics don't look correct but the description does. BTW - emailing you does not work...received the following from 3 different email addresses.

----- The following addresses had permanent delivery errors -----

Thanks,
Walter

Rick, What's the O'Reilly part number for the dimmer switch? I checked on-line and the pics don't look correct but the description does. BTW - emailing you does not work...received the following from 3 different email addresses.

----- The following addresses had permanent delivery errors -----

Thanks,
Walter
Oh, I'll change my signature. New email is rudydog33@comcast.net. I'll have to do some digging and see if I saved the receipt. Otherwise I could go to O'reilly in person if you want me to. Do you have a local O'reilly's?

Oh, I'll change my signature. New email is rudydog33@comcast.net. I'll have to do some digging and see if I saved the receipt. Otherwise I could go to O'reilly in person if you want me to. Do you have a local O'reilly's?

If you can dig that would be great! The closest O'Reilly is Rockford which is a 90 min drive for me.

Back