Products that have disappeared since your childhood

Dennis Kirban

We live in an age where all of us regardless of how old we are have seen many products or businesses simply disappear either because they been replaced or are no longer needed or have become obsolete.

Take a minute and just name 3 or 4 that quickly come to your mind that were a big factor in your youth than today is either almost non existant or have completely disappeared.

The electronics would be well represented but name others that are NOT related to the audio/music industry. Same with anything car related try and name some NOT car related! (These two topics would be too easy to list).

Here goes some from my youth:

35mm film member in my day 24 hour film development was a big deal!

pay phones and phone booths now are long gone

Electric typewriters IBM was the big player at one time

home deliveries of milk

3 speed bicycles

What products/services from your youth can you name that is now gone?

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Pagers, House phones, 13-15 inch wire wheels !!!!! Kids playing with other kids outside in the neighborhood!!!

CRT tv's and computer monitors

rotary-dial telephones, my little brother was born in '88 and had no clue how to use one :)

tickets for boarding airplanes, just print 'em out now off your computer

It also seems like nobody buys or reads newspapers anymore, just my parents :)

Oh yeah, Lawn Darts too!!!

Pete

Dennis, you feeling OK? last couple threads have been 'reflecting back on life' types:wink: They say when a man comes to grips with his mortality, he begins to reflect on his life...

Anyway, back when I got my 1st job at age 14, one of the first things I bought was a Polaroid camera. $46. was a ton of cash back then but it paid me back in spades. At parties, I'd take pictures of the uh, festivities and goings on and it made me very popular(for an hour anyway:redface:). The girls were always grateful for pics of themselves with their friends.;)

Alan

Comic books on the magizine racks.

Milk and pop (soda, for our yankee friends:)) in glass bottles. Tastes better, stays colder (and for longer). A 12 ounce pop is just the right size. Not the "bladder busters" they sell now that get hot and flat before you're half done.

Plymouth

Curtis Mathis tv's

Cable Boxes with the rows of buttons you had to push

Black & Wnite TV

Atari

Arcades. Man I loved them!!

Full service gas stations. DING DING when you would pull up. Attendant would ask something like...Check your tires and oil sir?

Drive ins

Parking and fog testing the windows :biggrin:

Wooden Nickels

Slot car racing though its making a small comeback

Western Auto

Hardees when they used to sell roast beef

RWD midsize Buick ;)

2 stroke street bikes

hello people; Stores being closed on sundays, not from my childhood but time clocks and time cards. They have been gone a while at my job. It's all computer now. No work. As a kid not too much to worry about. My mother cooking an Italian sunday meal with the sause simmering all day and me taking a meatball with some bread. I luved that.
IBBY

Lawn Darts, any toy made out of metal/ steel, 8 track and cassette tapes and players.

From a..

REALLY old fart...
Crank phones... We had them. When we heard it ring, we had to count the rings, as it may have been for another family.. called a party line. [Ours was 2 shorts, 1 long]. "Progress" took over.. We got our own line, and a 4 digit #. 2406.
Hadacol.. Was supposedly responsible for curing everything that ails you!
Portawalls.. For the instant whitewall look on your car's tires.
Ethyl gas... It was $.29/gallon at the SINCLAIR station I worked at.
The "board of education"... My teacher's model had holes drilled in it, for "max performance"!
Understanding parents...When you got yurass whipped, you took it, and went on. Your "rents" didn't call 1 800-lawyer.

Just a few I can think of right now.

Cigarette machines
Leaded gas at the pumps.
Top Job cleaner....I can't find it if they still sell it.
Real t.v. shows, ...Magnum PI/Simon&Simon/Rockford Files..not this reality crap.
Drive In Movie Theaters & Roller Rinks(almost gone around here)
Caldor/Bradlees/Ames department stores.

When i was 12 I saved 6.00 and bought my frist album sgt peppers played that thing all summer 1978 was the yr also got an 8 track given to me that same summer black sabbath so albums and 8 tracks i would have to say

The independent corner store that used to have at least 10 different kinds of penny candy.

Returnable pop bottles.

Slingshots
Free Air at gas stations
WHT or Wometco Home Theater (early version of satellite tv)
Little Rascals
Bonomo Turkish Taffy