Pros and cons for T&D's

S

slowpoke

I'm considering on keeping my T&D's during the current engine build. What are the pro's and con's vs. the stock valvetrain with hardened shafts over the T&D's. Longevity, parasitic loss, durability. Let me have it.

Thanks
Rich.

I can't think of any con's because you already purchased em and I assume the valve covers to boot. Pro's to add to your list...... if valve stem height is a problem (varying) with the T&D's your taken care of. Preload could be set anywhere you want it. Just the adjustability factor and a piece of mind knowing they won't break. although some will disagree, I'm sure.

Thanks so far for the replies. I'm mostly looking for opinions on longevity. I've heard from a pretty good source that T&D only rates them based on the amount of passes or amount of hours on the engine. I've also heard 5,000 miles is about the most you can get out of a set before a rebuild. Anyone care to elaborate especially if you've had a set for more than 5k without an engine teardown.

TIA
Rich.

I dont see T&D 's having any problem with durability, not sure were you got your info but compared to the stock rockers I would use T&D's

T&DZZZ

There's 2 different roller tip setups on the T/D pieces.
1 Setup has the roller tip axle directly into the roller.
1 has a needle brg in the roller that the axle rides on.
The cost difference is about $14.00 per rocker.
I just found this out and sent my NEW T/D'S back for the brg mod.
I had a real NASTY experience w/ a set of stud mt rockers, in that the tips were locked up on 9 out of 12 rockers. This occurred w/ less than 1000 miles on them. That's when I got the T/D'S.. They AIN'T cheap, but they're made RIGHT!!
I've run them on my SBC alky rail @ near 10,000 rpm and did it for 2 yrs and NEVER had a problem.:cool: :cool:

As for the 5000 mile deal... I've heard that on solid roller lifters, but never rockers.
I've seen a set of Iskys in a stage 2 on the street and Isky said to look at them after a couple thousand miles. They are now building a set for street use that have modified oiling to the roller brgs.

Back to sittin on my rock!:D :D

Thanks Chuck. I'm pretty sure I have the older style. I also have the set designed, I believe, for the GN1 heads with offset pushrod dimples.

Anybody by any chance have the phone # for T&D. I'm getting conflicting opinions. everybody on the net so far says GO. The guy building the motor says No. I want to get it from the horses mouth and educate myself.

Again thanks Chuck and everybody else for replying. Keep it coming.

Rich.