PTC converter streetability

harris48cars

I have the PTC 9 1/2 non lock up converter. Back in the day I had 3 Art Carr 9” converters with nary an issue. I’ve read enough about the PTC to have confidence in it. But I’m not sure of how it does on the street. I’m referring to 100 mile trips. How much heat will street driving produce?
Thanks

I have the PTC 9 1/2 non lock up converter. Back in the day I had 3 Art Carr 9” converters with nary an issue. I’ve read enough about the PTC to have confidence in it. But I’m not sure of how it does on the street. I’m referring to 100 mile trips. How much heat will street driving produce?
Thanks
Street use must have a sprag. Been there done that. IF your PTC doesnt send it back and have a a hvy dty borg warner sprag added and of course run a big aux trans cooler as well.

18 blade spragless in one car and a 17 blade spragless in another. Do 200 plus mile trips up and down hills with zero issues. I run up some hard grades as well. As long as you have a good trans cooler it will be fine. My 18 blade has a b&m cooler with fan only my 17 has a aux bar and plate as well as stock radiator cooler with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PTC 17 blade NLU here, 99.9% street car. I run a 12x12 bar n plate cooler with -6 lines. I don't run through the rad. The trans cooler is in front of my condensor out in fresh air..

I have a spragless 9.5 ptc nonlockup with an auxiliary cooler. Street driven with a trans temp gauge and it stays 150-160 degrees. If I beat on it, ir recovers quickly and doesn’t go over 180.

But I’m not sure of how it does on the street. I’m referring to 100 mile trips.
i have driven and raced alot on ptc converters.there are 4 of us up here that have tortured the ptc with no issues at all.the ptc i put in cruised within 50rpm of the lockup it replaced.i run syn fluid in the trans with a big cooler,my friends just run coolers.

I challenge you to call ATI, CPT, Pro Torque, Neil chance, etc and ask them about a spragless on the street and see what they say.

challenge you to call ATI, CPT, Pro Torque, Neil chance, etc and ask them about a spragless on the street and see what they say.
if that is directed at me,i dont need to call anybody im way past opinion when it comes to this stuff.i have over 26k on a ptc 9.5 nl personally,not counting those around me (which are many).notice i did not attack you in any way with what happened with your car,but there are many of us that have run these converters and know how to make them work on the street and not overheat anything.

I have a 17 blade non sprag for 8+ years.... 30k miles on it and lots of low 10 and 1 high 9 sec. pass with no issues..... Drive the car anywhere and I don't worry about it. Has separate trans cooler behind the front mount. When I bought mine they did not offer an HD sprag option.... If buying today would def get the HD sprag due to less heat than non-sprag