PTE Oil System

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
My PT-51 is dead - but it’s not PTE’s fault.

I sent it back to them to have the housing replaced (misaligned puck). They called today and declared it DOA. At first I was pissed, but then I remembered all the metal in my oil pan and caught in my pickup screen. Evidently, the metal made its way through the turbo, too. Grrrrr. So, I guess it’s good to find out now rather than have the turbo fail later on after I put the new engine in.

So PTE is going to rebuild it. They suggested that in order to avoid such unfunness, in the future, I should buy one of their oil filter relocation kits. It provides a separate, filtered feed to the turbo. Anyone try it? Is it a good idea?

Thanks,
Jim

It's pretty much a must man..
They call it the turbo saver.

If I were to plop 6-700 dollars towards a new ta49 or pt51 I wouldn't drive the car without one.

Turbo Saver

Man I tell ya, I had my new PT51 and turbo saver installed at the same time. I new it would help with the new turbo. Oh and makes changing the oil filter and filling it with oil easier too:D I highly recommend it

I've got one as well and it's worth it just for the easy filter fill and change.

Definate good idea.

DEFINATELY GET ONE!

I wiped a cam in my old motor and took out my TE44. I got a PT51 from Harry and ordered the Turbo Saver at the same time. When you're talking $600+ for a turbo, the $160 for the TS is well worth it. Besides, you get a larger filter, easier oil changes, a cleaner engine compartment... and a trick looking braided line that goes to your turbo :D

Now if they'd only make an "engine saver" - something would eject bad engine parts right into the trash before they ruin the rest of the motor!!

-Banning.

Originally posted by J Banning
Now if they'd only make an "engine saver" - something would eject bad engine parts right into the trash before they ruin the rest of the motor!!

-Banning.

Now that's a good idea.....if it would rebuild the engine roadside that would be a winner.

I'll pick up a turbo saver then. Wish I had realized I needed it BEFORE the engine went bad and destroyed the turbo. But what can you do. Seems I'm learning the hard (read: expensive) way these days.

Jim

Don't forget about all the metal in the oil cooler in the radiator.
Either replace it or go to external one.

Gary

Can the Turbo saver work with a stock turbo or do you need to have a different turbo?

Dannyo

Originally posted by Danster
Can the Turbo saver work with a stock turbo or do you need to have a different turbo?
It'll work with any make and model turbo you see on a Turbo Regal.

Does anyone have a website where I can order one or a number I can call, thanks!

Dannyo

Originally posted by Black Car
Don't forget about all the metal in the oil cooler in the radiator.
Either replace it or go to external one.

Gary

Oh yeah - forgot about that. The lines, too, I guess. How do I clean the cooler out? Run some solvent through it? Compressed air?

Thanks,
Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Oh yeah - forgot about that. The lines, too, I guess. How do I clean the cooler out? Run some solvent through it? Compressed air?
The oil cooler cannot be cleaned out. You now need to bypass the cooler.

PTE's Oil system (aka Turbo Saver) can be purchased from the PTE website. http://www.precisionte.com

Originally posted by Scott231

The oil cooler cannot be cleaned out. You now need to bypass the cooler.

PTE's Oil system (aka Turbo Saver) can be purchased from the PTE website. http://www.precisionte.com

Are there any kinds of kits for my to bypass the stock cooler? Source for the lines?

Thanks,
Jim

All you do is remove the adapter and screw your oil filter directly onto the threaded pipe sticking out of the oil pump cover.