pulled passenger side header

mitchell.cox1

The "Z"
So it took me about 2 hours to pull the header off the right side...and when I finally got the crossover tube out, (Stubborn bolt), ipulled the header out of the engine bay and notived that it didn't have a gasket nowhere. Not installed??? Lol it had reminants of some kind of rtv...I also noticed that the gasket where the wastegate sits on the header had exaust blowby...and a lot of leaks elsewhere...I am sure noe that's one of the resons that my engine ran crappy with rough idle and hard to stay idleing...what do you guys think?

There are no gaskets from the factory. As far as the wastegate on the header, that's not factory either.

No gasket from GM between header and head surface. Once its apart Most people install one

Our cars did not come equipped from the factory with any header gaskets. If the flange surface of the header is flat, no gasket is necessary. If it is not flat, NO gasket will hold it. Being turbo cars, they have quite a bit of exhaust backpressure, so it is critical that the flange surface if flat and you have no leaks.. (leaks also hose up the O2 readings, which will make it run like crap). If need be, just have the flanges machined back flat at a machine shop. Any competent shop will be able to do it, and it's not very expensive to have done. Pull the driver side header and check for cracks around where the 3-5 tubes merge... that's where they all crack. You can have them welded up if you have cracks there.... but you need to do some research here on the proper technique/filler mat'l etc. Scot W. on this board performs this service for very reasonable $$ (like $50-$75??) and is a trustworthy place to have it done. He may even have replacement DS headers already welded and flat, ready to swap for your core... not sure on that.

You will thank yourself if you keep your stock headers, get 'em right, and avoid the ebay headers you referred to in your other post.....:wink:

opps...

Well thanks for the info, I should have researched it a little better. I have pulled the driver side header and it is cracked but it has been re worked and re welded several times and it is also leaking from the rework welds so I probably should start over and get a new set. Or a new one for that side...

Well thanks for the info, I should have researched it a little better. I have pulled the driver side header and it is cracked but it has been re worked and re welded several times and it is also leaking from the rework welds so I probably should start over and get a new set. Or a new one for that side...

Search the 'for sale' section for a used DS header, or shoot Scot W. a PM... I found one in the FS section, had my old one welded up, and keep it as a spare if (when) I need it.... I think Kirban also sells a replacement DS header.... I'm sure Scot or equivalent can grind all the shoddy welding off and re-do it.... correctly this time... :)

Right on

Well I will search for a stock replacement and see about getting mine to scott...how do you pm? Still new and havnt learned everything and working this thing from my cell phone, I love tecnology! And brian you are pretty close to huntsville right? Cause that's where I am at. Is there any buick clubs floating around al? Worth a try...

You can PM by going to the 'private messages' link up by where you are signed in.... you need to get on here on a computer.. lol... where you can take HOURS and HOURS to read and learn...

I live in Guntersville... 35 miles south of HSV... I come to hsv all the time, wife works at the restaurant 801 Franklin. There are a bunch of TR people in this area... go down in the 'Southeast' section of the site and post a 'shoutout' for Huntsville area people... a bunch should respond... alot go to HSV Dragway, and Steele also....

Nevermind.... here: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/so...1-north-alabama-trs.html?highlight=Huntsville

Welcome to the Darkside! :cool:

Well thanks

That's awesome, ofcourse it will be a while till I am on the road, just cleanimg up everything that the previous owner did, nothing bad but I want to fix all of the little broken things and it is getting repainted some bad bondo on the roof has peeled off and rust is showing its ugly head, but it doesn't look like its not going to be hard to fix...looking forward to seeing everyone out on the road smoking all of those challengers and rustangs...lol