Put down an LS1 Z with my stock 93 Cobra (GN is down for maintenance)

T

Terry

So I’m on my way out the base last night and I pass a black late-model LS1 Z28, couldn’t tell which year but know it was 1998 or newer because it had the new grill and those fugly stock wheels on it. A few lights later I get stopped behind a pickup and notice the Z is right behind me. When the light turns, I wait for an opportunity then jump out from behind the truck and accelerate to see if he’ll follow. Most of the time they don’t take the bait and this guy didn’t either. As luck would have it, I hit the next light and he pulled up beside me. Red Bank is 45 mph, three lanes each side and we’re at the front of the light. I scan for the Law, merging traffic, kids, nothing around, I notch it into first and standby. The light turns green, we each slowly slip the clutch and start rolling. I didn’t know if he would go or not so I stayed right next to him and waited. He punched it, so did I. We both hazed the tires in first gear, he hit the 1-2 shift before I did and I pulled a fender on him then we evened up when I shifted. We both lost traction again in second, lifted to stop the tirespin and hit it again, I’m a little behind but rollin’ him in. He shifted 2-3 and I got a fender again. I hit the 2-3 just right and kept my slight lead. To my surprise, rolling through the mid-range in third, I started to open the lead. When I had one car on him, he shut it down. As usual, the loser won’t look over, doesn’t want to debrief the race, meet a new car guy or just bull**** for a minute. This story is only interesting because I beat him in a 1993 Cobra. It is all stock with the exception of headers, Flowmasters and a replacement K&N. It even has the stock 3.08 gears. It recently put down 240 horsepower at the rear wheels. I have small, stock size radials and I cleaned his clock. Fox Mustangs didn’t rule the street for years because they were slow. Word of caution to LS1 folk, big rearwheel horsepower or not, you are vulnerable. I spent all night last Saturday out punkin’ rice. Cruise long enough and you’ll find something or something will find you. So this LS1 Formula comes up on me. His aggressive moves lead me to believe it’s on. Him and his body give me a rice flyby through the light so I gotta chase him to get set up. I finally get there and they punk out, don’t want to run. Whatever.

Don't take this the wrong way but..

...I think you're full of some real smelly S@#T if this was an ls1. If it was an lt1, and the two do look alike a little bit, then this is completely possible.

And as for this statement..

Fox Mustangs didn’t rule the street for years because they were slow. Word of caution to LS1 folk, big rearwheel horsepower or not, you are vulnerable.

Do yourself a favor and go visit www.ls1tech.com. Your little 240 hsp cobra is far out of its league of even the slightest modded ls1, let alone some of the big dogs that post on this forum and cruise around the streets.

I don't wanna be an a$$hole, but I don't believe it.

3.08 gears? 240HP and you still beat him?

My brothers car made 310RWHP with just a K&N.

He pulled a 13.7 @107MPH with bad traction, and its an AUTO.

I have to agree on this one. I have a 97 WS6 with bolt ons and it takes a blower on a Cobra to get past me. I eat N/A Cobras for lunch. Normally I don't jump on this bandwagon, but I smell BS.

Yeah, I knew there would be skepticism. I have a GN also and spend most my time abusing strokes in LS1s just for fun with it. Most of the guys that hang in this forum are street racers. You understand the way an impromptu street race works. Any one can lose at any time. Many times I win against stronger opponents because they blow the tires off it. The specs on my car are no ****. The race went down as stated. I do this for fun and I know my opponents. It was an LS1 car, not some cheesy 200hp 6 cylinder. I know GN owners get it. I was sitting at a light in my GN in Virginia Beach last summer when I notice a beautiful black WS6 Ram Air TA next to me. I got ready and looked over. The TA owner just looked past his friend and said, "I know about those cars, no thanks." Other GN guys have no doubt experienced the same thing from people who know these cars. Of course, if you just think I'm making this up because your brother's friend's uncle's LT1 went 13.7, well that's the kind of first-hand experience I can't argue with. I was at Texas motorplex a few weeks ago and saw LS1s get their ass handed to them all night long by rice and modular mustangs because they couldn't drive their own car well. The story clearly stated that I outshifted him. That's how I got ahead and stayed ahead. Call bull**** all you want but when you lose to a slower car because you ****ed up, you'll be singin a different tune. I took down an M5 the day before on my way back from lunch. I don't have videotape, but it did happen.

I've posted here several times about killing LS1s with my GN. My GN is mostly stock, runs 14 PSI, exhaust and K&N, just like the Mustang, except it's much less reliable.

I'm curious why it is that no one calls bull**** on me when I post that I've beaten an LS1 with a 16 year old stock intermediate sedan with a 6 cylinder from a non-performance division?

`
Quote: "I'm curious why it is that no one calls bull**** on me when I post that I've beaten an LS1 with a 16 year old stock intermediate sedan with a 6 cylinder from a non-performance division?"

OK, bulls**t - you're it. :p

He must have been a real sh!tty driver, but good kill!

If the guy was a real sh!tty driver I can believe it, but if it was an average to good driver you would have gotten walked.... BTW, a GN that is stock with a few mods like a K&N and exhaust even with only 14lbs of boost is faster than a mostly stock '93 Cobra as I have witnessed with my car.... FYI, when my GN was mostly stock (it only had a K&N, exhaust, 009's, and Red's 93 street chip) it ran 13.20's @106mph on radials with 15lbs of boost and I had no problem beating mostly stock LT1 F-bodies/Vettes as well as 5.0 and 4.6 Stangs/Cobras that only had a few mods so yes IMO the GN beating a stock LS1 is possible, but for a '93 Cobra with minor bolt-ons I'd have to say the guy couldn't drive worth a damn or it's BS! BTW, stock 6spd LS1 F-bodies have dynoed 300-320rwhp and have run very low 13's and even high 12's @107+mph with a good driver! If it was an LT1 or an A4 (auto) LS1 this kill would seem much more possible IMHO....

Terry
Don't listen to the "back lash". Anyone who is a "performance oriented" driver knows that a 93 Cobra (14.1 sec 1/4) is able to take out a "mighty" LS-1 (13.7-13.9) sec car if the Camaro is driven by a low performance driver. We shouldn't be questioning the Cobra owners honesty in this. Now if he was saying that his 93 Cobra was taking out 90% of the LS-1s...then we can cry foul. The fact of the matter is that 4-5ths of a sec adv isn't much if I am a lamo driver in the SS and the other guy knows how to launch. And in the same vein...if I was a lamo driver in my Turbo Trans Am..the good driver in the TPI IROC could probably take me out. Let's not forget about driver ability in this equation before we go off calling people liars :rolleyes:

As for the LS-1...it's argueably the best SB Chevy ever made. Nevertheless the SS is a high to mid 13 sec ride in stock form. IMHO it's not accurate to state that a "factory quick" SS or WS-6 that might score a 13.3 or 13.0 in perfect track conditions...is representative of ALL LS-1s. Thus if you run into a LS-1 on the street..chances are the guys going to be running 14.0...not 13.4.

My brother had a 93 Cobra, with a short belt and k&n...thats it, it went 13.78@101. So dont think RWHP is EVERYTHING. Anything can happen on the street!!

Just ignore them , Terry. There are some kids here that just plain hate Mustangs and get their panties in a wad whenever one wins at anything.

He also admitted that the LS1 guy was spinning them pretty good. That combined with loser who cant shift = kill.

Though I cant see the Mustang pulling the LS1 in third, unless the fool in the LS1 let off too soon. 3rd and fourth is where those cars rule

Good kill

I pulled him in third because he short-shifted second to relieve the tirespin, hit the 2-3 at the wrong point and put the motor below the powerband. He was using 245 Goodyear GSCs, I always check the rubber before a race. In his defense, I've raced many people on the street and recognize the LS1 as a worthy adversary. I'm not gonna back down to a race just because he has more power. It was a good run up through third. That's why I posted it. If it had been an easy kill because he didn't know what he was doing, it wouldn't have been worth posting. As most of you have noticed, the point of the story is more that anything can happen on the street. That's what makes it more fun. If we were both at the track with slicks, it's likely I'd have seen tail lights, but there's always the chance he'd launch wrong, bog it out of the hole, miss a shift, or over-rev it. It's not about comparing horsepower numbers, you gotta look at the whole package. It was a solid win for a lower-powered car.

Sorry for the flame Terry. Guess I got my head stuck so far up Chevy's butt these days.

I don't know my Mustangs too well either. ;)

ANYTHING can happen...I whooped an AWD Dodge Stealth, non-turbo, in my truck once.

Good Kill Terry! As for others calling BS... I have to say that I've seen a few LS1s get there butts handed to them at the track because the driver didn't know what they were doing. As a matter of fact I saw one get beat by a 8000lb Ford Diesel at the track last Friday. Though I should mention the Diesel runs in some sort of Pro series and has NOS and many other performance mods. Wicked ride!

The more I think about this, the more I may have to say it is possible. I beat LS1s with my LT1 up to a point. I usually get them nicely out of the hole but they start to kick my butt at speeds above 85, so If I intend to race them, I make sure it is over quickly and not a top end charge. An LS1 has to be fairly well modded to stick with me from a start. Good kill, just be glad it didn't go well into 4th. I know every time I bag one, I say to myself "glad it didn't go for too long" . ;)

I have a bone stock 97 WS6 as well, and nobody gives them credit because it has a "lowly" LT1 and thinks they are junk and that they are slow. That car is quicker than one might suspect. By seat of the pants feel, I think that my WS6 is easily as fast as my Buick. Plus, I think it looks and drives better than the Buick.

I also own a 93 5 liter LX with slight mods. It can hold it's own too. (but not against all of the 11 sec Buicks that seem to be out there, but I never see)

All three are relatively quick cars. I don't know which one is faster though. I guess I need to have my own personal three-way shootout, but I'm not the best stick-shift racer (Mustang) there is, so it may be unfair to my Ford! :)

All I have to say, is that it very possible that he won that race. Not everyone can squeeze a 13.0 out on the street in a LS1. The 93 Cobra had a lot of potential and the magazines that reported the times weren't the fastest that they could have gotten.

I think people here just get all spun when somebody with a Mustang wins. No BS flag raised here...

I think people who own Mustangs here get all spun when somebody calls BS on their kills.... I guess we should never bench race or talk sh!t cause it is a very serious matter to call BS when a Mustang wins or to say anything bad about a Mustang or a Ford!:rolleyes: I am truly sorry for every bad thing I have ever said about the blue oval or Stang and I hope you serious Mustang owners will forgive me for my sins:p

BTW, I think we should change the name of this site from turbobuick.com to mustangsandfordsrule.com cause it seems like a lot of the Mustang owners on this forum are taking over and if you say one bad thing or disagree about something Ford or Mustang related they jump down your throat and keep on bitching about how Fords and Mustangs aren't slow and how they don't suck.... tb.com = the defenders of anything Ford or Mustang related and if you don't like it too bad!!! God forbid you say one negative thing about a Mustang or call BS when a mostly stock '93 Cobra kills an LS1 F-body..... Shame on me and anybody else for ever raising the BS flag and for bench racing and talking sh!t, but I didn't know this was the serious Ford and Mustang forum where that kind of stuff won't be tolerated!!!