You can type here any text you want

Question for Rich....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Rich,

I bidded and won an OTC Moniter 2000. The following info was provided by the seller:

IT IS USED AS A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL FOR FORD, GM AND CHRYSLER AUTOMOBILES. THE AUCTION INCLUDES THE CORDS, 3 CARTRIDGES (CHRYSLER 1983-1988, GM 1981-1988 AND FORD 1981-1987), INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR FORD/ GM AND THE CASE.

I've got a 10-day money back guarentee. I will perhaps need your input on how to set it up to make sure it is in working condition. Can you help?

:D

Freddie,
That's to funny....you must have read my mind. I read your other post and was thinking that you needed to get a scan tool to do your fine tuninng.
Jim

What's up Jimbo,

So far I have a great sensor tester, Digital voltmeter, great old large gauge tach made by Sears and a degrees advance timing light.

In addition, the fuel/air gauge pod let's me know if the ECM is working properly. The bar lights change as the O2 sensor reads a constantly changing fuel mixture that trys to remain near stoichiometric at all throttle ranges.

They are all helpful but I need something active. I believe that the OTC can give one active readings at idle or driving. This will help me fine tune. Before I had to adust a tiny bit, then see how she felt by driving her around at differant conditions. With the OTC I hope I can get readings on the fly! :eek:

I wonder if a Hyperchip would help the N/A engine. :confused:
The lower RPM ranges is were I need help, (between 0-2000 RPM). On my Desktop Dyno I can see why a turbo car can put out more HP at those lower ranges while an N/A needs a whole lotta help.

My engine rips past the 2000 RPM range. Below that it is mediocre. The OTC can better serve me on making decisions, (hyperchip). Hopefully I can narrow down the timing issue and play with it a little. :cool:

The 2000 is a good tool and are usually reasonably priced. Plugging into the ALDL is convienent. With a 1981 you may need an adapter to connect to the ALDL. It should come with the 2000.

There is one drawback to ALDL scan tools, IMO. The update rate is slow. 2.5 seconds/update if I remember correctly. It would also be nice to see all sensors at once and record data. But then that's why the laptops and SFI/Turbo software is so popular.

They either power up or not. After you play with for a while, you know if you like it or not.

Thanks Rich,

I'll let you you how it goes once I recieved it. For $43.00 I hope I got my money's worth.

I just finished installing the MSD-6AL. The hardest part is figuring out were to put the box. I put it on the passengers side. I re-located the BAR and MAPS sensors right by the side of the MSD. The MSD sits on top of the plastic humps were those two sensors were originally located. Very smooth idle....good response.

I think I found what was causing the timing issue. The vaccum line at the intake for the modulator broke. I don't know for sure if that was the problem since I've left the timing at 15-BTDC OEM specs. Anyway I took her for a spin and everything seems fine. :cool:

Back