You can type here any text you want

Question for those with vacuum brakes...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
the major flaw with all 60,s 70,s 80,s muslecars.is in the braking system. sure you can make them go fast but stopping them fast whole nother story with the hydroboost setup you wont have that problem.and if you dont like the look of the rubber presure line. you can go with the steelbraided lines. w/ billet master cyclinder.bottom line powermaster is problematic P.O.S!

Is is a common belief...a FALSE belief....that if the car dies (with Hydroboost) that you will lose the power assist. People believe that if the P/S pump fails, your brakes are immediately gone....NOT true. The HB system has an internal accumulator reservior to provide 4-5 power assisted stops after the engine is shut off....just like the crapmaster, and the vac setup. The newer HB setups, including the astro van, and GM heavy duty trucks, have an external accumulator. The 83-85 HB has the same thing, only it is inside the housing.

Here is a pic of a HB setup. I don't think they clutter up the engine compartment any more than the other setups...but that is my opinion...

067.JPG

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 141
Bled the rears again, 3rd time, and the pedal is much better. :)

Also found one of the Acorn nuts that holds a bracket (wire clamp type) and the master cylinder to the vacuum booster was way loose as in barely on.

Shoulda checked it out of the box but I didn't realize the N/A cars had a clamp that had to be loosened to get it off the car, something to check if you source used parts from a vendor or junkyard, make sure all the bolts are there and tight.

Once that was tightened down and the rears bled the pedal is much nicer with far lesser travel.

Almost as good as the powermaster. :cool:

Gonna bleed the fronts for the 3rd time next warm day it can't hurt.

Much better braking with no more whistle and a good pedal.

Look out CT commuters come monday morning. :eek::biggrin:

I have this Hotchkis Performance listing for their 12" brake conversion. it shows the parts list for the 87 Monte Carlo SS to convert the GN to vacuum brakes:

vacuum booster:
GM 18010120
Wagner 541243
Bendix 2514488

brake pedal GM 1256193
pedal bushing GM 15594358

master cylinder from a 81-96 Chev Caprice:
GM 25509416
Wagner F104460

Is this the correct part number for the 2 stage Vacuum booster and the larger piston master cylinder? Getting ready to order the parts. Thanks !
Bendix 12011

When my factory hydroboost went bad I lost braking AND steering.
My Vacuum setup will put you through the windshield if I slam the brakes.
Keep it simple.

Back