Question for turbo GN guys

97SS

I am trying soemthing new and have a few questions. I was going to sell my camaro in favor of a yet to be named turbo car, well because I LOVE turbo cars. Any way I came accrost a 3.8 turbo out of an 87 GN complete with turbo and computer and was wondering if the 3.8 block will mate up to the T-56 six speed with no or mabyee minor modifications.I appreciate any help in advance!

Brian

Brian: Check out www.V8Buick.com Vendor section, 5&6Speed tremec There is a photo breakdown of the tremec t56. Notice the bolt pattern on the case. It will bolt up.

I have one in my Z06. What a nice transmission. Its also the same trans they put in the Viper and Mustang.

John Schmidt

I figured it was the same but wanted to make sure. I am probably going to buy this 3.8 and bolt it into my SS, don't think I will have any problems stuffing it in the camaro engine bay but if I do that is what the plasma cutter and welder are for:rolleyes: , thanks John.

Brian

Just my .02, among other problems, the GN motor is wider than the old smallblock. I have no idea on the dimensions of the LS1 motors though. Also, do a search on manual transmissions behind the GN motor. It seems the guys on here who have actually tried it don't like it.

I just noticed you have a 97. Is that an LS1 or LT1?

It is an LT1, 97 was the last year of the LT1's in the camaro. I wonder how much wider they are that my motor. I will have to do some more checking. I guess I assumed since they put the 3800 N/A in the camaro wich I believe is the same as the 3.8 that it would fit. I was just unsure if the t-56 would bolt up to the 3.8 motor. I have never seen a combo like the one I am dreaming up so I figured it would be soemthing different.

I'm all for something different. It sounds like it would be a fun car. Most people are concerned with dragstrip performance and the car will be slower with the manual. But it will be more fun too. The Buick motor is a low revving motor and makes it's power through a pretty narrow range. When they put this motor in the turbo transam the factory used the 3.0L heads off of the FWD Buicks at the time because they are narrower. That requires different pistons due to the smaller chamber. I'm not sure of the specs of the series I V6 but I think the heads are different.

You probably want to search for threads related to manual vs automatics with GN motors, the topic has been beaten to death but people who have run manuals w/ these motors usually recommend against it.

If you are looking for optimum performance, put an auto (200r4 or TH350 or TH400). The manual trans will slow the car down.

Just my $.02

Prasad

Your T56 WILL NOT bolt to a 3.8L without a special adapter bellhousing (that no one currently makes).

LT1's and LS1's use a T56 with a 1/2 bellhousing that won't accept an old sunbird/monza 3.8L manual bellhousing. You will need an aftermarket T56 (or one out of a viper), or a custom 1/2 bellhousing to BOP that you'll have to make yourself.

McCleod now makes modular bell housings for T56 applications. There is an article on it in the latest issue of Hot Rod magazine.
Problem is whether such a swap is worth it? Thats up to you since it is your money. Those who know me know my opinion on the matter.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
McCleod now makes modular bell housings for T56 applications. There is an article on it in the latest issue of Hot Rod magazine.
Problem is whether such a swap is worth it? Thats up to you since it is your money. Those who know me know my opinion on the matter.

That's something new. It makes sense for a clutch company like Mcleod to make an adapter, because the stock F-body clutch is notoriously weak. Imagine adding another 200-300 ft-lbs of torque form a turbo 3.8L (and having to rev it up and dump it to spool the turbo).

Clutch replacements will pay for the adapter tooling in a few months.

Like the TTA, you may need TTA heads or aftermarket alluminums to clear the strut towers.