You can type here any text you want

question on cleaning an intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Carb cleaner or gasoline if you want to roll the dice - can probably use it as 2-stroke gas when you are finished :)

The last time I cleaned my intercooler I used a can of brake cleaner. Let it soak a little then slosh (?) it around. All kinds of ugly gunk came out when I flushed it with water. Let it dry, then reinstall.

I brought mine to a radiator shop and had it cleaned out and pressure tested. This was after I had the Dutt neck installed.

I cleaned it out somewhat before bringing it to the guy who put the neck on. There was about a 1/2 pint of oil in the intercooler. It appeared to have never been off. Not sure if 1/2pint of oil is acceptable for a 80,000mi car.

I'd probably call a couple of radiator shops and see what they can do. This the original stock intercooler?

The last time I cleaned my intercooler I used a can of brake cleaner. Let it soak a little then slosh (?) it around. All kinds of ugly gunk came out when I flushed it with water. Let it dry, then reinstall.

same here. it's clean now!

I use two cans of brake clean. Spray in one can and slosh then repeat with the second can. Then I use Mr. Gasket gasket remover and spray it on the outside to remove the VERY thick paint. It usually takes two cans of the stuff to do a good job. Rinse with high pressure water. (pressure washer works good) Then let it dry and spray a thin coat of flat black paint on it.

Back