question on cleaning an intercooler

Carb cleaner or gasoline if you want to roll the dice - can probably use it as 2-stroke gas when you are finished :)

The last time I cleaned my intercooler I used a can of brake cleaner. Let it soak a little then slosh (?) it around. All kinds of ugly gunk came out when I flushed it with water. Let it dry, then reinstall.

I brought mine to a radiator shop and had it cleaned out and pressure tested. This was after I had the Dutt neck installed.

I cleaned it out somewhat before bringing it to the guy who put the neck on. There was about a 1/2 pint of oil in the intercooler. It appeared to have never been off. Not sure if 1/2pint of oil is acceptable for a 80,000mi car.

I'd probably call a couple of radiator shops and see what they can do. This the original stock intercooler?

The last time I cleaned my intercooler I used a can of brake cleaner. Let it soak a little then slosh (?) it around. All kinds of ugly gunk came out when I flushed it with water. Let it dry, then reinstall.

same here. it's clean now!

I use two cans of brake clean. Spray in one can and slosh then repeat with the second can. Then I use Mr. Gasket gasket remover and spray it on the outside to remove the VERY thick paint. It usually takes two cans of the stuff to do a good job. Rinse with high pressure water. (pressure washer works good) Then let it dry and spray a thin coat of flat black paint on it.