Question on my tranny

Nelson Ramos

1986 GN Stock..
Car has 22000 miles. Transmission shift perfect no slipping no leaks. The only problem I'm having is when I put the car from park or neutral to drive I get a hard Bang? Universal joints are new. Sometimes the car turns off? Once the car is in Drive the car idles and shifts perfect the car has recently been tuned correctly.

Does it do this into reverse also or only into drive? Hot or cold only or whenever?

Like everyone else, I'm going to recommend a pressure gauge to check pressure at idle. If it's working fine otherwise, it's unlikely to be a pressure problem but it's possible in theory that the min pressure is being held higher than it should by a sticking valve or slide etc. and still allowing somewhat normal operation otherwise.

Also, has it always done this or is this recent development? BR calibrations did not get the "feed/bleed" fwd drum and piston setup like all others did starting in 86. They are stiffer than a lot of other calibrations but still shouldn't "bang" or kill the car. Converter problem is also possible.

Also, has it always done this or is this recent development? BR calibrations did not get the "feed/bleed" fwd drum and piston setup like all others did starting in 86. They are stiffer than a lot of other calibrations but still shouldn't "bang" or kill the car. Converter problem is also possible.
It dident do it before restoring the car. After a few years of restoration it started. I'm going to check the pressure on Tuesday thanks for your help. Merry Christmas

Does it do this into reverse also or only into drive? Hot or cold only or whenever?

Like everyone else, I'm going to recommend a pressure gauge to check pressure at idle. If it's working fine otherwise, it's unlikely to be a pressure problem but it's possible in theory that the min pressure is being held higher than it should by a sticking valve or slide etc. and still allowing somewhat normal operation otherwise.
Hot and cold and only in drive.

How about rear end gear (differential ) back lash ?
If it's too much, wouldn't excessive back lash clearance be a possible contributor to the hard "bang" going from N to D?

How about rear end gear (differential ) back lash ?
If it's too much, wouldn't excessive back lash clearance be a possible contributor to the hard "bang" going from N to D?
It's on the lift now. With a pressure test . What should it come in as?

I'd be focused on idle pressure for this test but it wouldn't hurt to check the max pressure while you're at it. Stock br is probably 60-70 at idle I don't remember. Also by pulling on the tv cable it should return to the approx same number every time the cable is released. If it's not doing that consistently then the tv valve is probably hanging up. Stock tv valve return spring is very light and doesn't take much to hang it up and keep it from minimum. This would likely affect the light throttle shift points but it's possible in theory to hit a sweet spot where it works ok but not "correctly".

Is the idle speed too high?