Questions to ask about a rebuild?

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a t-type that is fairly low milage, that has a rebuilt engine and tranny. I have the mechanics name and number, but I need to know what questions to ask him so that I can make sure that it was built correctly. I know about the rolled filet crank, but I really don't know much about the tricks and tolerances when it comes to building these things or a SBC for that matter. This guy is a prof mechanic, but not a TR mech. TIA

We've all seen sooooo many stories on this board and others about engines and trannies that were "built" by a pro mechanic yet didn't last.

Do yourself a favor....look for another car that is either factory stock or has been done by someone who really does know these cars. There are lots of these cars for sale and if you have to travel, do it. IMO it'll pay off in the long run.

Chris

I'm getting it for a good deal! Even if the engine was blown I could still make money off this car. I'm looking to buy it, get it running in top order, clean it up, drive it for a few months and sell it. Its only got 68k on the car, and the kid doesn't really know what he has.

What questions to ask?

my car was "rebuilt" when i bought it.....and im getting it back from the machinist tonight :eek: You could ask him what clearances he set the mains and rods at. Side play on the rods. I believe all are between .0005 - .0015. The other thing you should do is go to gntttype.org and check their buyers guide heres the link: http://www.gnttype.org/general/buyguide.html

Hope you dont get a lemon engine like i did, thick oil to hide engine knock is bad which is why im rebuilding now. Might wanna ask him what he uses.....if its unusally thick that might not be so good.

Dan