You can type here any text you want

Questions!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BigChinooks

Can a buick n/a bush cam be reground to turbo specs?
Also can flat top pistons be machined for a deep dish?

Just thinking if anyone has thought or done this.

thanks!

Pretty much, "no" to both questions. I looked into the cam thing: you've probably got 104 lobe separation, and to get it anywhere beyond 107, you'll be getting through the heat-treat. Anyway, Schnieder cams in San Diego said it couldn't be done. As far as pistons, you'd make the deck too thin for a turbo application. (I've got a few boxes of N/A flattops gathering dust.)

My $.02, anyway.

Thanks for the response!
I have 37cc stage 2 heads->Real nice<- and i want to use them.
Do you think they would still be ng if i went with a thick cometic gasket and a dish piston?
Would be nice to use some things off my bush motor LOL

Mike.

I also have a set of 45cc Stage II heads that came from a blown up motor but need a fair bit of work.
The 37cc heads are bolt on ready to go!
Think i could lower the compression enough with a dish piston to make it work?
By the way this is my first stage II,so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike.

Mike,

37 cc's is small for a S2 combustion chamber! My S2 heads worked out to be 56 cc's and I still needed a big dish in the piston. I chose to keep my CR at 8.5:1. If you are willing to raise CR a little, and replace the pistons, I don't know why you couldn't use those heads.

BTW, I used Diamond for my pistons. Those guys are great! I highly recommend Diamond

You were looking for a S2 oncenter intake, I have one I won't need. It will need to be converted for FI, but that is no big deal. Call me if you are interested, I can take a picture or two and send them your way.

Dave

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you!

I already have a stage 2 intake.......was hoping to get one thats already converted to fi if the price is right,otherwise i will buy the fuel rails and inj bungs and do it myself.-Hopefully not that much of a p.i.t.a.,but it all seems to end up that way LOL.

I have to replace the pistons anyway,my crank is a 3.590 with a 6.5 inch rod.Was hoping i could get away with these heads.
I was thinking that if it could work out to be 9.5-1 or less i would be happy.
By the way,i was told it was a 3.625 but upon measuring.....bottom of stroke to top of bore it came out closer to 3.590,hopefully i checked it properly(first time doing that)!

Mike.

Originally posted by BigChinooks
Hi Dave, nice to hear from you!

I already have a stage 2 intake.......was hoping to get one thats already converted to fi if the price is right,otherwise i will buy the fuel rails and inj bungs and do it myself.-Hopefully not that much of a p.i.t.a.,but it all seems to end up that way LOL.

I have to replace the pistons anyway,my crank is a 3.590 with a 6.5 inch rod.Was hoping i could get away with these heads.
I was thinking that if it could work out to be 9.5-1 or less i would be happy.
By the way,i was told it was a 3.625 but upon measuring.....bottom of stroke to top of bore it came out closer to 3.590,hopefully i checked it properly(first time doing that)!

Mike.

I doubt you'll be able to use those heads along with a 6.5" rod. The piston maker will have a hard time fitting enough dish in the piston while still keeping it thick enough. If you had shorter rods (which moves the pin down in the piston) you could probably use them. I have a 3.632" stroke crank, 6.5" rods, and 54 cc chamber heads, and getting a piston dish that gave 8.66:1 compression was about the max. With 45 cc heads, my pistons would result in a 9.5:1 compression ratio.

Doing the intake conversion isn't horrible, but you do need some machining skill and someone who can TIG aluminum well. I have some pictures of my 4 bbl conversion on my web site, along with the tunnel ram conversion that's in my avatar.

Hi Kendall,

Looks like your going to be right although i did see another post that the person had heads with a simular cc and custom ordered je pistons with a 50cc dish,but he may have had a 6.2 rod!
What cc are the dish pistons you ended up with?
My back up plan is bolting on my m&a heads but i am more game on the stage 2s,never heard of them cracking!

Mike.

Oh one other thing,what was the cc of stage 2 heads that have not been milled?

Mike,

I beleive virgin S2 heads are 44 to 45 cc's. Intake fabrication wasn't bad at all.

I made the fuel rails first (rented the pocket cutters from Kinsler FI). Cut the bung holes in the intake runners on my drill press with a hole saw. Made the rail hold downs from a piece of 6061 aluminum bar stock (I cut it with my Makita compound miter saw and a carbide blade).

I took the whole package to my favorite tool and die repair shop and they TIG welded the whole thing up for me. I aspire to be as crafty as Kendall and learn the art of TIG welding. My next big aquisition will be a TIG welder.

BTW, Kinsler will sell you everything you need to convert a manifold. They will do it for you if you can afford their prices (which I can't). I did two manifolds (offcenter) for under $400. Wilson Manifolds will also do conversions. I know someone who paid them $1400 to get one done. Ouch!!

big chinooks , is that in any relation to the army helicopter, just wondering of one of the 47 family hangs out here too.'
grant

Originally posted by n20junkie
big chinooks , is that in any relation to the army helicopter, just wondering of one of the 47 family hangs out here too.'
grant

Hi, Actually i am big into competitive fishing and its big Chinooks that i am after!
A chinook is the largest of the Salmon species,and the ones i am after are 30lbs plus...........therefore Big Chinooks!!

Mike. ;)

Looks like everything will work out with my custom pistons!(45cc full dish)
Depending on head gasket thickness i will end up with around 9-1 compression.
Anybody use the thicker cometic gaskets yet?
.032 on the 1026s and cometics you can get more then .067

Mike.

Back