Quick extrenal wastegate Q's

maxboosteric

I have a Richard Lee ex. wg. It has a 13 psi spring with the 2 vac ports just like a delatgate.I drove the car and had no boost control, it would just keep going(I stopped it at 20 psi)I don't have any of my vac lines hooked to it yet.I figured it would control still using just the spring.Right or wrong here.Do you have to have the lines on for it to control boost.I blew up a IC hose so i couldn't test any more.Just want to know if its ok.
Thanks Eric

Has the car sat for a long period of time? Perhaps the valve is stuck closed, thus causing the overboost situation?

-Banning.

No I just rebuilt it.I check it and it functioned before instally it.So your saying it should only have 13 psi with just the spring.
Eric

Sorry man, that's all I've got. You might want to try the "other" board too.

-Banning.

you NEED to hook up a vacuum line! DO NOT run the car without the hose connected!!!! There will be no limit to your boost. That's why your intercooler hose popped. The hose goes from the pressure side of the intake system to the port closest to the mounting flange. Then you should get boost equal to the spring rating.

Actually the hose blew b/c it was not a psi 90 hose.Friend told me it was.But anyway thats what i wanted to know.Thanks for your help.Only got the boost up to 20 before lifting.
Eric

I am pretty sure when I was running with my ext gate on I didn't have any lines hooked up to it and I wasn't overboosting.:confused:

'camino is right, you need the boost pressure signal line hooked up at least. The best way to connect it is in "deltagate" mode, using a relieving style regulator. Boost signal goes to the diaphram lower and also the regulator, plus connect the regulator output to the top side of the diaphram. This forms a closed system that gives you adjustability and better control than a simple bleeder setup.

TurboTR