You can type here any text you want

Quick question for people that did Vac brake conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dwall

Looks like it may be time for me as I have my original Power Master & therefore .. issues.

Anyway - I have parts - the 85 Regal/Monte SS MC & diaphragm, ported intake block, inline filter and complete brake pedal & hardware. I have been doing my search read & study but as usual I have an unanswered question. Obviously the pedal is different but...

My dummy question is, " Do I use or can I use the pedal mounting bracket from the lovely old PM or do I need to replace using the bracket from the firewall of the NA Regal? Are they the same?

Sounds good Keith!

Lazy as I am I was hoping that I would find the identical bracket on the Power Master. It took four nuts & a bolt to get the old bracket out of the parts car but I was hoping I could just leave the PM bracket in position under the dash for the change over.

Thanks from the olphart in the Lazy Oaf Lounge.
Bob

you dont need to change the dash bracket , just pull the bolt that holds the pedal and swap the pm pedal for the vac pedal

DWALL! Wassup?

No interest in rebuilding the powermaster? Using one of the new style "extra large" accumulators, a new switch, and a master cylinder kit from Karps power brake service and the old PM will do it's job for a long time to come. And it's pretty easy to do too.

The only really hard pill to swallow is if the pump and motor are fried or leaking internally.

Thanks everyone. Well anyway, I thought I was ready to swap. Expecting the worst, you know.

Did rear wheel inspection. One rear wheel cylinder weeping. Low on (dark) fluid with mushy pedal. Replaced wheel cylinders, hardware, turned the drums, new shoes, flushed and bled. No extras - this is a Sunday driver.

Result.
NO brake light now. Good grab and can feel difference in overall stopping. Fingers crossed at the moment on the PM. At least I can drive one car. Whippee dippee right. The trip to alcohol rescue is much more fun. And I have a complete Vac brake set up - repainted diaphragm included - ready for use.

Hey Steve! Good to see your avatar again. All that stuff from Karps? It would take some over my head diagnosis to determine motor and pump condition. Cross that bridge if I come to it I guess.

Great day out there - time for a drive.

He's too busy with his Sunday drives and honking at the girls in my front yard on the way to the Oasis. Thought about walking down for one with you, but I ran out of steam when I sat down after yard work.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hey Steve! Good to see your avatar again. All that stuff from Karps? It would take some over my head diagnosis to determine motor and pump condition. Cross that bridge if I come to it I guess.

Switch from highway stars or Kirban.
Accumulator from whoever is cheapest (usually ebay)
Master cylinder kit - Karps is the only source I know of. Nice kit I just bought 2 of them last week.
New Pump and motor assembly - oldbuickparts.com

Keep feeding that PM fresh fluid. Never let it get black. That might be the single most important thing to do to keep them working right.

I appreciate all the info. I probably should get ready for a rebuild. One of the two PM's is bound to fail I guess, altho inspection, flush and new wheel cylinders have brought back the grey T for now.

Dave I only honk when I see the GN. Are you kidding our car wouldn't stop near your place? An old phart like me slowing down around a young person. That could get someone arrested in PC Madtown. LOL Anyway my wife was my copilot when we went by. It would have been a long walk for a cold one with us ... we didn't stop until London Depot!

JDPOLZIN! Whats goin on?
My boys made a little noise in QC John Deere but went home humble.
Ah yes the project . Its here in the Blind Squirrel Grage. I have paint! Needs a some buff but overall nice. I have all the interior stuff I need. I have a LIST of snit to do. I am tired of dusting & walking around it. And then there is drive-ability.

Keep the Regal's on the road guys.

Keep feeding that PM fresh fluid. Never let it get black. That might be the single most important thing to do to keep them working right.
I change mine out every spring. Been using the valvoline synthetic brake fluid. Both powermasters still going strong, been more than 10 yrs since the last rebuild.

DWALL you gonna make it to Jimmy's next saturday?

Yea Jimmy's - I should give it a try weather permitting. Its not too far from Volo if I remember correct. I drove the back way down 12 a few times and mostly thought it OK. He's probably up to his neck in work with his rep. I got a GN tranny that should be gone thru.

Back