Race seats. Poly or aluminum?

So I have a set of 41700 Kirkey pro drags with black covers, and I have been debating whether or not to buy the vendor 18" seat brackets and make 1/2" spacers on each side to bolt the 17" seats in. Opinions? I guess I could do some calculations on the bending forces and stuff...

Seeing if anyone else decided on this route or if people are just doing custom mounts. Also, I am presuming that the welded in crossmember on the Vendor seat brackets can be used for the anti submarine/crotch belt of a 5 point harness? or do I need to bolt in a supplemental bar to the seat mounting points for this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Dennis

As long as you use a spacer with some surface area, recommend 3 square inches per mount bolt location ( just follow the bracket profile, and put a hole in the right spot) you should be fine, washers, or tube spacers, not so much...

Thank you very much for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines as you are with some significant area replacement.

Just calculated that adding these spacers will add 3.5 lbs to the combined total weight of the seats. (on a pure aluminum basis at 3 sq. inch, .5 inch thick spacers)... does cut some of the weight savings, but could be worth it still.

any comment on the crossmember being used as a mount for the belts? not familiar with standard practice here...

If the crossmember is alum, then , no I would not use it as an attach point, are you using the brackets from G-body ?

That was the plan. I had actually guessed that it probably was not structural other than to support the seat and keep it from swaying side to side.