Racing in overdrive??

oc192

Hello All, my car is pretty mild as I just have a pte 6266, 3000 stall, 110 race gas and drag radials. When I have a potential race on the street, I just leave it in OD and let her rip. I never really thought much about it because it will downshift when needed when roll racing and it will go thru the gears when racing from a dig. I was perusing the forum and came across something about torque multiplication. When in OD, you do not have this effect like you do in D? Am I leaving power on the table by using OD?

Also, what techniques are you guys using when racing from a dig? Do you manually shift or start out in Drive? Also from a roll on the highway, do you shift from OD to D and then make the hit?

Thanks

I always put it in drive when racing. It will cost a just couple of MPH at the top but it will save your forward drum from snapping.

I have the broken shaft piece hanging from my rear view mirror to remind me........

From a dig I would put it in 2nd. Don’t shift into OD. Roll racing I match the gear to my mph. Slower is better. I use my 2step same as I do when launching at the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello All, my car is pretty mild as I just have a pte 6266, 3000 stall, 110 race gas and drag radials. When I have a potential race on the street, I just leave it in OD and let her rip. I never really thought much about it because it will downshift when needed when roll racing and it will go thru the gears when racing from a dig. I was perusing the forum and came across something about torque multiplication. When in OD, you do not have this effect like you do in D? Am I leaving power on the table by using OD?

Also, what techniques are you guys using when racing from a dig? Do you manually shift or start out in Drive? Also from a roll on the highway, do you shift from OD to D and then make the hit?

Thanks
Leave it and D and go from there. Manually shifting these cars is bunk. The factory shift points at WOT is the best for even most roller cams

Also, what techniques are you guys using when racing from a dig? Do you manually shift
manually shifting will make for a faster street or track car depending on combo.torque multiplication is much higher in 1st so if your at the track that shift can be held longer,on the street short shifting the 1/2 and holding out in 2nd gear usually gets the car down the road better.

When in OD, you do not have this effect like you do in D? Am I leaving power on the table by using OD?
a 3.42 gear heavy car will lay over up top in od.you will et and mph more getting the car into 3rd.

a 3.42 gear heavy car will lay over up top in od.you will et and mph more getting the car into 3rd.

I normally et very nearly the same but mph 2 -3 slower in od. But that's just my car.

I normally et very nearly the same but mph 2 -3 slower in od. But that's just my car.
manually shifting through all the gears?or jusy leaving it in drive or od all the way through?i can see that if you left it in d or od.also if its a high gear pull running out 3rd gear without a converter thats bleeding off the power will chop down some et and really increase mph.

also for guys that worry about missing the shift you could let the 1/2 happen on its own then make the shift into 3rd manually.the car should picked that way as well.

manually shifting through all the gears?or jusy leaving it in drive or od all the way through?i can see that if you left it in d or od.also if its a high gear pull running out 3rd gear without a converter thats bleeding off the power will chop down some et and really increase mph.

At the track, I put it in D and let it shift itself. It seems to do best that way. Very consistent 10.55 @ 128.

I've only run it in OD a couple of times and that's because I wasn't paying attention. I broke the trans goofing around on the street with it in overdrive. Everything that can be, is billet now, so hopefully that won't happen again.

A new Turbo Lou engine is currently in the works, should be a little faster this time around. ;)