Radiators Fans and Pumps

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
The previous owner/abuser of my GN thought he was doing a good thing by installing a 4-core radiator after his R-134 conversion. The radiator is clean, and looks great inside but I know I’m not getting the cooling I need. I’ve used quite a number of suggestions from the board and I’ve lowered my temps from 215 down to 205. That’s in Florida traffic with the AC on max high. The thing that bugs me is how come I cut my teeth in high performance years ago with a 4 core? I guess I’m just having a hard time with the thought of a 4-core radiator being too thick. I’m from the old school of Chevelles and GTO’s, we always had 4 core radiators. Is there a limiting factor that prevents our TR’s from utilizing a 4 core? For example: Is it the 3.8 water pump that can’t move that much water? Is it the fan not pulling enough air through the big radiator? Ramchargers has a nice dual replacement fan for our cars for a reasonable price, do I need that? I know I’m going to have to spend some money somewhere, I just want to make sure it’s the right place. Thanks for any help. - BB:confused:

what are you worried about? 205 is no problem...most of these cars came with 195 themostats....where does it run with the a/c off?

About 180 degrees

I've got a 160 thermostat in it and it runs about 175 to 180 with the AC off in the same circumstances. My chip is programed for fan on at 175 degrees. I guess I've just read about some guys that are running a rock solid 180 with the air on and figured I was too high. - BB

You're probably right on. Here in NE Ohio, our cars will see ~190 in moderate traffic on an 85 - 90 degree day with the A/C on.

I lived in Jacksonville for a year, so I'm all too familiar with the constant 95+ heat from May - October.

You're fine, enjoy the ride. If it gets too hot (215+), kick the A/C down and sweat a little.

...or, do 140 on I-95. The Jax cops do.

I'd like info on this subject also. Today my 85 hit 210 and I quickly turned the AC off (about 90 degrees today). I've got a stock 87 radiator and stock 87 electric fan. Would the dual fans from Ramchargers make a big difference? How much for that unit?

Without AC it runs at about 175-185

Thanks