Radio repair

augie1010

Hey guys: Last summer my cassette player in my GN radio stopped working. Insert tape, and the tape pops back out. Anyone repairing these things? I want to keep the car original, so I would like to get it fixed.

Thanks
Dave
'87GN

There are probably companies that advertise in Hemmings. When you get the repair estimate you will probably be shopping for a used radio. Maybe check with Kirban as to which radios fit our cars, if he doesn't have one check salvage yards and ebay. Good luck.

Hey guys: Last summer my cassette player in my GN radio stopped working. Insert tape, and the tape pops back out. Anyone repairing these things? I want to keep the car original, so I would like to get it fixed.

Thanks
Dave
'87GN

you can buy them cheap on ebay with an ipod hookup built in the front

i have the correct radio in the car, but the tape decks just don't seem to be very good, heck the car is only 24 years old, lol. As I said in the original post, I want to keep the car original, so maybe i can find a repair guy who could fix the deck.

Thanks
Dave

A bunch of GMs have that same radio at the junkyard, you could pick one up for cheap. Don't know the years but to be general try early 80's GM, you can tell by the connections in the back also.

Sounds like the rubber belt has melted to the drive wheels preventing the motor from turning. easy fix if you have the patience

maybe Kirban

Kirban repaired my original radio but I didn't ask for tape deck repair & didn't get it. Ask him. :smile:

i have the correct radio in the car, but the tape decks just don't seem to be very good, heck the car is only 24 years old, lol. As I said in the original post, I want to keep the car original, so maybe i can find a repair guy who could fix the deck.

Dr Don's repairs Delco radios. They have a one year warranty. Hope this helps.

Rob

Sounds like the rubber belt has melted to the drive wheels preventing the motor from turning. easy fix if you have the patience

Sounds like a bad belt as well.

Pretty simple fix.. the stuff that gets hard are pinchrollers, heads, capstan bushings, etc. Parts like motors now are obsolete due to its age.

Yup its a 25 year old radio sitting in a hot car. A repair shop replaces the current worn parts.. but there are still 99% of the radio with 25 year old parts waiting to expire.

I didn't think about that. The radio/cd player had the same symptoms both times. So I thought the same part broke again.