You can type here any text you want

randomly dies

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qwks6

Boost junkie
This has happened to me a few times now, and it doesn't matter if it's at idle or under throttle. I haven't had it die under more than 1/2 or so throttle, but it's so random that I don't think it matters...

It'll just die, SES light comes on along with standard lights that come on when an engine dies... but according to my scanmaster it throws no malfunction codes. It's a pain to start back up afterwards, it'll crank but won't start for a few minutes usually... maybe only a minute or so, but you know how long that seems!!!

Does it sound like ignition, or maybe computer related... grounds? I'm wondering where to start. Any help would be great, thanks.

I had the exact same problem last year, after a bit of diagnosis time, I found that when it happened to me I had no power to the CCCI wire going to the ignition module. Trace it back and found a broken wire behind the fuse box. I ran a new wire from the fuse box to the igntion module and haven't had a problem since.

I had an 87 GN that would randomly die. Turned out that the previous owner had swapped the turbo and didn't reconnect the battery ground to the lower bolt of the turbo bracket. Most of the time this ground strap was close enough to metal to make ground, but occasionally it would bounce up and lose contact.

I would check the grounds to make sure.

On these cars....

the grounds are real important. might also want to check out the maf by litely tapping the housing to see if it causes a stumble or the engine just dies. that occasional dieing can also mean the coil or module is giving up the ghost.:eek:

This has happened to me a few times now, and it doesn't matter if it's at idle or under throttle. I haven't had it die under more than 1/2 or so throttle, but it's so random that I don't think it matters...

It'll just die, SES light comes on along with standard lights that come on when an engine dies... but according to my scanmaster it throws no malfunction codes. It's a pain to start back up afterwards, it'll crank but won't start for a few minutes usually... maybe only a minute or so, but you know how long that seems!!!

Does it sound like ignition, or maybe computer related... grounds? I'm wondering where to start. Any help would be great, thanks.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be my crank sensor it would just die randomly i bought a new one and work fine ever since

thanks guys, I'm looking at all the grounds taking them off and cleaning the contacts right now. I've been trying to get it to do it again but it hasn't so far... who knows. I hate paying money for stupid stuff like this but it may have to go in the shop! Thanks for the help!

Back