You can type here any text you want

Re-tork method..wrench teknique

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
I got a few miles on my RJC gaskets and will be retorking as instructed. After a first fire off, then cooled, no miles, i retorked and there was no movement of bolts. So is it wise to back off bolt, then pull them, thereby allowing for break-away tork? I also used only the Permatex sealer, no 30 weight. Ive heard two things. To put both permatex and oil on bolt, and, to use only Permatex.
Thanks

Go put the engine under some pressure and retorque the next day cold.

..............So is it wise to back off bolt, then pull them, thereby allowing for break-away tork? I also used only the Permatex sealer, no 30 weight.......................Thanks

Over the recent years we have done many race engines and deal with many race cars, so re-torquing heads is a necessary item to be done often. The often asked question is to loosen the bolt/nut, or just pull to the original torque?

After talking with many "engine experts" and manufacturers that deal with high HP applications, it was the conclusion to break the bolt/nut loose about 1/8th turn, then torque to spec for the most accurate method.

Also concur to do re-torque with a cold engine.

Concerning what lube to use, the new ARP Ultra was the top choice.

On high output/boost engines we use studs as often as possible. Then minimize stress on threads in the block. Studs stay stationary when clamping force is applied. The clamping force/strength is the same, but bolts will "wear" and pull on the block threads when being tightened. Anyone working with alum blocks/heads will attest to using studs over bolts whenever possible.

Our re-torque sequence is to do it at least twice before the engine is installed. After break-in and a few heat cycles, another re-torque. Before max operating boost, but some "peppy" runs, it is done again.

After 2-3 trips to the track, or 500 street miles, is is checked again.

From there, it is a routine item like adjusting valves. :)

Back