You can type here any text you want

real knock or false ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mytta49

Using Razors kit with dial set at 6 and 22 psi. Also a few gallons of 100 unleaded to the 93.
When I go to WOT, I watch the scanmaster. At times at 3rd gear it will show 3.2 Doesnt climb to 3.2 just goes from 0 to 3.2 No knock in first or second.
I then come to a stop, go to WOT again and in third I get 1.2 Again the scanmaster shows 0 and then the 1.2 and doesnt change or climb to 1.2 I have not seen the scanmaster readings where it climbs, just 0 and then a number.
I also have a Casper knock gauge, none of the knock lights light up when I do the above knock, The main green light is on, so I assume its working.
02 readings are in the low 800's

Hope this makes sense.

If you stay in it what happens? Sounds real to me. 3rd gear is the most common gear for knock as it has the most load.

Jason

To be honest, I am not really sure. I just remember it not climbing just goes from 0 to whatever. sometimes its 0 to 3.2 the next time its 0 to 0.5 etc.
When I hit the recall it shows what the knock was.
So, to answer your question, as soon as the rain stops here, I will take it out and have someone next to me monitor the scanmaster as I keep WOT through 3rd into 4th.
In the meantime, thanks for responding.

Real knock escalates in intensity. In other words in one frame you see 3 and the next zeo... that is false knock.

Now if you see 1 then 3 then 5 then 7 then 10.. LIFT your foot of the gas.

The knock sensor listens for metallic sounds. There are a bazzillion things that can make metallic sounds around the engine that are not "detonation" Timing chain, broken valve springs, loose TQ converter, MAF pipe hitting the alt bracket, downpipe rattling, bad motor/tranny mounts, IC banging on frame/swaybar, etc etc etc

Do your testing in a fixed gear.. transmissions during shifts can/will show knock numbers. If the 2nd or 3rd gear pull is clean.. dont worry about the "blips" that show some false numbers. My Ex-TTA would show 40 degree's retard on the 1-2 shift.. all false..

Put the scanmaster where you can view it easily.. last night at a car show a GN had his scanmaster installed inside the arm rest box..BAD PLACE :redface: making it about as useless as ... wont say ;)

If O2's are upper 700's, and knock is at zero the majority of the run.. dont worry about it. If it comes and goes then comes back.. you need more alky. Like .5, 1, .5, 0, .5.. etc..

HTH

Back