You can type here any text you want

Rear brake trans brake ??????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn_steve

boosted canadian
Hi guys and girls somebody might be yanking my chain but i whant to get informed cause you never know! Somebody told me that on his gn he as a little electric motor on the rear brake line that when staging shoots more psi to the rear brakes when you press the switch he told me he got it from rons customs??

Could this be true???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys and girls somebody might be yanking my chain but i whant to get informed cause you never know! Somebody told me that on his gn he as a little electric motor on the rear brake line that when staging shoots more psi to the rear brakes when you press the switch he told me he got it from rons customs??

Could this be true???

What he is most likely referring to is a electric two port solenoid valve that bypasses the factory proportioning valve thus allowing full line pressure to the rear wheel cylinders. There was one that was marketed quite a bit back in the early 90's. The same can be accomplished with a manual valve as well. Someone else may recall the name? I am on the road and don't have access to my Buick library. Do you already have the bigger s-10 wheel cylinders?

Seems like a line lock solenoid of sorts. Except it's plumbed in parallel to bypass the proportioning valve, and it's normally closed. When electrically charged, it would then open, thus making the proportioning valve ineffective. This would allow full pressure to the rear, the same as the front.

Kind of a do-dad, if you ask me.

AIRC, it's known as a jump valve. I think Ron's Automotive was involved.

No one sells them and are not allowed at NHRA tracks as they can be a safety hazard.

Makes sense. Leave that activated after launch or have it stick open and the rear brakes will lock up first down track. As Faron Young once said..."Hello Walls"...

There's always the hillbilly trans brake. IE set the e brake tight and pull the lever at launch, but people are reporting rear brake damage from it.

Stage right style trans brakes are pretty damn cheap...

Does anybody have a picture of it just curious what it looks like??

Here's the one on my car. I know Ron, I can ask if he still has any Jumper Valve kits still available.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1441484973.491687.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Does the adjustab1e manua1 va1ve work? How much increase can be had and how safe is it?
Adjustable proportioning valves are used for all kinds of custom brake applications and combinations. I have one from Willwood (Pictured below). But you can't adjust it back to "normal" in the middle of a run. So if you set it for full pressure to the rear on the launch, and it stays there for the entire run, you may lock-up your rear brakes after you go through the finish line. Then, like what was said earlier, "hello wall!"
IMG_0099.JPG

I agree with NY Twin Turbo. Adjusting a manual proportional valve for full rear wheel brake pressure is very dangerous and is an accident waiting to happen. The Jumper Valve pictured in the above post reduces that risk. It's a normally closed hydraulic valve actuated by a solenoid. The valve is plumbed around the rear input to output of the proportional valve. The jumper valve solenoid is wired to the brake light switch thought a latching relay. It only operates when the brake pedal is depress and the latch momentary push button is pressed and released. As soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal the the solenoid is released and the brake hydraulics go back to normal. Additionally, there is no need for the larger S10 wheel cylinders and two primary brake shoes which can cause the rear brakes to lockup.

Haven't heard from Ron yet. He may be out of the country.

Back