You can type here any text you want

Rear brakes not holding after wheel cyl upgrade..HELP!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

streetknight

DCVING
Just put the S-10 wheel cylinders and new shoes on the regal along with a Line Lock. Bled the system like stated on gnttype.org. Here...Brake Bleeding, Rear Cylinders, and Linelock Install

Tried to build boost and the rear tires start spinning before any boost builds. Spooned the rear shoes up still no luck. Put it on my lift and raised it up, hold the brakes and as soon as you touch the gas, the wheels turn.

Have went thru the bleeding procedure above MANY times and no luck.

I can build 2 psi with the E-brake, but my other TR with the same EXACT stuff done will hold 13 psi with no E-brake.

Any ideas?

Supposed to go the track in the morning. :confused:

Did you go through some sort of break-in or "bedding" procedure with the new shoes? You didn't mention it, so thought I'd throw that out there....

No, never have on any other car, so didn't think about it. Can't get any other shoes tonight to try, any other ideas?

Maybe the curvature of the new shoes doesn't match the diameter of the old drums well and you're not getting full surface area contact of the shoe on the drum liner.

Well, ended up taking almost every component off my TR and put on the GN last night including my powermaster unit and still same problem :confused::confused:

Used my brake drums and everything.. Only thing that hasn't been replaced now is the proportioning valve and the actual brake lines.

NOTE: This car is a 36K mile car, but has been sitting for pretty much the last 3 or 4 years.

Is your valve cast iron or brass. You may have one that needs replacing because it's stuck.

Happened to me years ago as well. Needed to turn the drums and all was fine. They were GM drums too!!!

I have vac set up.but could not hold any boost. installed s-10's and new shoes,still no boost. so installed soft compound ,long shoes. will hold over 10psi.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As of right now, still no luck. I'm gonna take the soft compound shoes off my car and my drums and try that. We're too broke to keep buying stuff we "hope" fixes it LOL.

Will keep you posted.

Did you adjust the adjusters out to where the drum barely will go on? That is a freebie.

One more question: Did you bleed the rears only? If so you may have put an imbalance in the system. The prop valve may be sending all the pressure to the fronts only. That would explain why the rears are seeing no pressure. The way to realign the prop valve is to bleed the fronts a little. This usually puts things right.

Back